50l Braumeister Or 20l

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It depends on how much beer you get through against how often you want to brew. If a single batch lasts you a month, I would go the smaller setup. If your household gets through a batch a week, then the 20L means brewing every week which is too much for me, so I would go the larger system.

Also as florian mentioned you can tweak some beers by different non-kettle additions. I just did a 3 cube brew (a Hop Dump, to get rid of surplus hops) and used different hops in the cubes, one had Galaxy, one had Amarillo and the last had Centennial.

QldKev

Forget the 20L version. If your asking the question, then you'll regret getting the 20L one. Even if you normally do smaller batches, it'll give you the flexibility to do doubles or high grav beers.

And having said that - forget the 50L one too, go the 200L.

The thing that gets me about the BM is you still need other stuff..

A chiller or NC cubes.

If you wanna sparge a vessel to heat water.

50L - needs a sparky to install the 15 amp bit.

the list goes on...

Anyway, well done micblair, I hope you don't think thats all you will be spending is all..

Brewing style (ie 3v, 2v, biag, BM) is irrevant. Pick size according to your needs. I'd size to fit. Wtf would u pick a smaller.size BM than need. Good decision buying 50L.
Although for that cost i would have built my own rig or bought sabco as I like brewing to pushing buttons. Horses for courses.

A 20 dollar pot cheap thermometer and cube is all you need

I don't have a BM and I am not getting one soon, so I am not on the BM wagon. I am happy doing what I do.

It takes me 5 hours to brew. That is set up, brew, and clean down. If that was for each batch fo 20L, and I was a sparky say and charged $80 an hour that time is worth $400. Lets say 20L was a months worth of brew for the house, that is a high cost on a regular basis. IMHO. I know the 15amp supply is just one cost and there may be some others, but most brewing set ups are that way anyway, but it is a one off cost. Then you have electricity costs, but if you get a $20 cheap pot, you'll also need a gas bottle, a better reg, a burner, or otherwise you have a very powerfull stove, and yes I know some people have all of this stuff already, but I didn't and it was a set up cost.

I BIAB, and here is my extras off the top of my head.
Gas Reg,
Good Burner.
Extra 9Kg bottle over the one on BBQ. must have a spare.
Some extra brass fittings to use some other burners I have.
Gas hoses.
Bags, I have a few,
Decent Rope
Two lifting Pulleys, no I am not doing a 20L batch, and I can't safely lift the bag in a tripple batch.
Lifting fixtures in the roof.
Lifting shackles.
Cubes. - independent of brewing method, but still.
Pot, no not a $20 pot. Not saying that is not the entry level, but this post is more serious if your considering parting with the cash for a BM.
Valve for the pot
Welding / fabrication cost me nothing but would cost some brewers a bit.
Refractometer independent of brewing methid but still.
Racking tube, independent of brewing method but still.
Thermometer.

Hey I know I am not stating anything new here, just that there are little extras every way you go.

I would rather build a pipe that brought water to where I need it, than carry bucketes of it everyday, even though on day one it would be easier and cheaper to carry the water by bucket.

Fear_n_loath

I reakon with this "push button" brewery and with all the styles of beer out there, and all the fine tuning u can do with them....a 20L would more than float my boat.

But then again, I've always prefered the quality over the quantity :p

Great buy! I've got the 20l unit which is perfect for me with a weekly brew day. Though, the one change after making that i see as a must is a ball valve for output. Makes it THAT much easier for the day. Bugger the NC cubes. Go right into a willow fermentor and use a modified cap for blow off. Easiest brew day you can think of.

Brewing style (ie 3v, 2v, biag, BM) is irrevant. Pick size according to your needs. I'd size to fit. Wtf would u pick a smaller.size BM than need. Good decision buying 50L.
Although for that cost i would have built my own rig or bought sabco as I like brewing to pushing buttons. Horses for courses.
thats meant to say "I like brewing as oppossed to pushing buttons

...all the styles of beer out there, and all the fine tuning u can do with them....a 20L would more than float my boat. ....
But then again, I've always prefered the quality over the quantity
I dont understand what your saying. are you suggesting that the only way to make most of the ber styles is with a BM? if so, thats utter rubbish Ive made 18 out of the 23 bjcp styles on my 3v.

your quality over quantity makes no sense. why will a 20L BM gives better quality over a 50L BM?

all you guys that think brewing equipment will make you a better brewer are kidding yourselves. yes good equipment makes brewing easier, but its the brewer that determines the quality.

if ive mis-interpreted your comments then ignore the above.

thats meant to say "I like brewing as oppossed to pushing buttons

I dont understand what your saying. are you suggesting that the only way to make most of the ber styles is with a BM? if so, thats utter rubbish Ive made 18 out of the 23 bjcp styles on my 3v.

your quality over quantity makes no sense. why will a 20L BM gives better quality over a 50L BM?

all you guys that think brewing equipment will make you a better brewer are kidding yourselves. yes good equipment makes brewing easier, but its the brewer that determines the quality.

if ive mis-interpreted your comments then ignore the above.

CM2, I think alcoadam was trying to say that making a smaller batch of beer in the 20lt would suit him better as you could make a few batches & adjust as necessary on your next brew. After two or three brews & if your happy with everything, double batch if you wish. A 50lt Braumeister with the smaller malt pipe would enable you to do just that but the 15A power supply is a PITA, especially for us that rent. I have brewed twice on a 20lt BM at my mates house & he has offered to leave it at my place so I can use it whenever I want to. I BIAB in a 40lt urn & it doesn't get any easier than that & I turned down his offer. I am making some of the best beers of my life, no mash temp control, no recirculation & 85% efficiency. I think if gadgets are your thing than a BM would be the bees knees in brewing but I fail to see any benefit whatsoever using his BM against my urn. The beers are identical in flavour, aroma & mouth feel & the only difference between him & myself is he spent $2,000.00 more than me for the exact same beer.

CM2, I think alcoadam was trying to say that making a smaller batch of beer in the 20lt would suit him better as you could make a few batches & adjust as necessary on your next brew. After two or three brews & if your happy with everything, double batch if you wish. A 50lt Braumeister with the smaller malt pipe would enable you to do just that but the 15A power supply is a PITA, especially for us that rent. I have brewed twice on a 20lt BM at my mates house & he has offered to leave it at my place so I can use it whenever I want to. I BIAB in a 40lt urn & it doesn't get any easier than that & I turned down his offer. I am making some of the best beers of my life, no mash temp control, no recirculation & 85% efficiency. I think if gadgets are your thing than a BM would be the bees knees in brewing but I fail to see any benefit whatsoever using his BM against my urn. The beers are identical in flavour, aroma & mouth feel & the only difference between him & myself is he spent $2,000.00 more than me for the exact same beer.
fair enough. I cant handle the thought of making a single batch. Ive only ever made 3 single batches on my rig. it always seems like a waste leaving room in the tun!

as i said horses for courses. glad to OP has bought something he is happy with.

fair enough. I cant handle the thought of making a single batch. Ive only ever made 3 single batches on my rig. it always seems like a waste leaving room in the tun!

as i said horses for courses. glad to OP has bought something he is happy with.

I looked at doing doubles for a while but in my situation, I would prefer to brew more often than more volume. I made a couple of brews from the database that looked quite good but I ended up tipping them out, I hated those particular hops. I'm glad they were only single batches.
I'm sure the OP will be more than happy with his BM.

I looked at doing doubles for a while but in my situation, I would prefer to brew more often than more volume. I made a couple of brews from the database that looked quite good but I ended up tipping them out, I hated those particular hops. I'm glad they were only single batches.
I'm sure the OP will be more than happy with his BM.
good point for people to consider when planning on any new rig. Im time poor with kids etc and don't get a lot of time to brew so making the most of it (volume) is important for me. Besides any beer im not a huge fan of just becomes my 3Rd pint beer. Luckily there's not many of those.

Back