500g Be1

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clemo

Reaction score
Hey, has anyone ever made coopers lager or draught with just 500g of BE1? Just wondering how it turns out as I want to make a couple of cheap mids. - Paul

Do you mean without any dry or liquid malt?

Don't think it would be a good idea - Coopers BE1 is a mix (50/50 I
think) of maltodextrin and dextrose. Dextrose is sugar made from corn,
will ferment completely and normally used to boost the alcohol level.
Maltodextrin is not fermentable by yeast and is used in beer to give it
more body and sweetness.

So what you're considering is brewing without fermenting any barley
malt so which would it still be beer?

Coopers BE2 on the other has maltodextrin, dextrose and light dry malt
but it's probably still not enough malt by itself.

T.

[note that maltose is a fermentable sugar and not the same as maltodextrin]

Maltyhops,
I think by "Coopers Lager or Draught" Clemo means a can of Coopers goop with only 500 gram of additional fermentables instead of the usual 1kg.
In this case I can't see any problem although I have never done it myself.
May get a slightly more bitter beer than if using a kilo but it will achieve the lower alcohol percent.
Cheers
Nige

Will be fine. May ( almost will ) lack head and some oomph body wise. To counteract this add 200 grms steeped carapils and some extra hops and no dex/BE2. Just 500 grms dry malt. Maybe 12 grms hops steeped for 10 mins. Extra hops not critical by any means BUT the carapils will give a lot more head and a small caramel note/taste.

Maltyhops,
I think by "Coopers Lager or Draught" Clemo means a can of Coopers goop with only 500 gram of additional fermentables instead of the usual 1kg.
OMG! I can't believe how bad a case of not seeing what's right of
me eyes I just stepped into. Sorry Clemo.

T.

[anyone know how to remove dried, caked on egg?]

BE1 = 600g Dex and 400g Maltodextrin. (60:40)
If you only just want to use half this then you would be looking at a light beer I reckon.

300 Dex and 500g LDM would be a better alternative if you don't intend to use anything else.

thanks everyone!!. the reason I bring it up is because I saw on the back of the BE1 pack that 500g = 3.5

I would use 500g of light dry malt instead of 500g BE1. This should give a ABV of around 3.5-3.8% and would add flavour, body and head retention.

Back