40l Stockpots At Rays Outdoor

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

himzol

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

These aren't really much use to me as I already have a set up and when I upgrade it will be some stuff from Beer Belly or similar. Though I might get one for the advertised purpose.

Anywho, I was just getting the gas bottle refilled at Rays Outdoor on West terrace in Adelaide and noticed that they have some 40Litre SS pots which they are advertising as Crab cookers. They were $109. Could be usefull for those just starting in AG or partials.

Himzo.

I got 2 50 litre crab pots, not sure if the same as sourced apprently from a camp shop. Beerbelly welded up a socket for me, wayne said not a good grade of stainless. Having used one as a kettle i would agree with him. I got them to use as a HLT and mash tun with the idea of getting one of the beerbelly kettles.

They are only a thin ss, not that great a conductor of heat, so ended up with some scorching. Im now sure that i will only use as HLT and mash tun, you also have to clean better than better grades of ss. As much as being 50L i filled 2 fermenters to 25L and filled the pot it spilled over at 44Litre mark.

If a similar pot it would perform similar i guess, with out looking. prob go to rays and have a look. Just wouldnt use as a kettle, but as i said ok as a cheap HLT or mash tun. will be going back to converted keg till can afford one of beerbellys ( no affilaiation, just nice guy with in walking distance ).

Back