4 days too long even for WLP820?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EalingDrop

Reaction score
It's been 4 days and absolutely no drop in the hydro reading (still at 1050). I think it's a combination of not making a starter and the ferment temperature being much lower than expected set at 6c (long story).

I read that the White Labs Oktoberfest lager yeast is notoriously sluggish, but 4 days?

I've got a WLP300 slurry (Hefeweizen) that's been sitting the fridge for 2 months and I use the Inkbird 310 temperature controller which I can program for up to 9 days (?).

Should I program the Inkbird to raise temperature (18c) earlier to wake the yeast up then lower it again for the normal lager temp (10c). Or add the WLP300 slurry and ferment it out like a Hefe?

Advice needed as Im going on holidays tomorrow. 

Thanks in advance[emoji2]

For it to gain notoriety I'd say it'd have to be daaaamn sluggish. Quick research online suggests others have the same symptoms.
RHWHAHB but if it puts you at ease, I reckon a 16C rousing for the first day or two wouldn't go astray.

ed: online research also suggests there's nothing good about this yeast that justifies the sluggishness.. so maybe consider chucking in that hefe yeast

It's a relatively fresh packet of yeast (packaged July 2017).

The wort tastes fine and there's no visible sign of infection... maybe at 6c everything is stalled.

Would be handy if there's such a thing as a 'Beer sitter' to check up on things when you aren't around.

I had a similiar delay with WY2206 and it needed a temperature rise to kick it off.

Did you keep it at the raised temp from there onwards or drop it back down to lager temperature after it's kicked off so to speak?

If lager yeast are so lethargic aren't they basically ale yeast if they need the same ferment temperature to be happy?

so let me see if i have this right you didn't make a starter and pitched straight from the packet.
so your already at half to a quarter of your required pitching rate depending on the age of the packet. then you had it at 6 degrees which is about 4 degrees too low, if the pitch had of been the right size it may have slightly worked.
yeah i can see it not working quickly.
personally I've used this yeast and the southern german at the same time in two separate fermentors on the same wort.
both finished at the same time 2 weeks later. its not the yeast its the way its been treated in this case.

Yup, a combination of things has to this. Poor prep time and a bunch of other cock ups!

The packet did say for a 5 gallon batch it's ok to pitch without starter, which is probably pushing it already, and the unexpected low temp really didn't help.

The Vienna Lager recipe has a bit of munich (10%), melanoidin (2%) and chocolate (1%) but not sure if that small percentage has any effect.

It's not the best start unfortunately, but now back to 11c it should all be back on track right if given a bit more time?

Thanks for the help guys.

Latest posts

Back