3v With A Twist

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QldKev

Brew Dude
Reaction score
Looking at my 3V system the other day I had a thought about a possible simpler way of setting up a system.

In the case of people with electric kettles on their 3V, such as myself and only ever batch sparge, why do we need decent quality and sized vessels for a brew?. It's the way we use them, a HLT, Mash Tun and Kettle. Since both the HLT and Kettle perform heating tasks for the large volumes we use decent vessels. What if we changed our HLT into a Holding Tank (HT). In the case of a single batch system we could use a standard handi pal for a holding tank, without converting it into a bucket of death. The day would go like this...

Use the Kettle to heat the strike water
Mash in (and start mash recirculation if applicable)
Adjust kettle to sparge water temp.
At the end of mash, dump runnings into insulated Holding Tank
Batch sparge from Kettle. Kettle should now be empty.
Dump second runnings from mash tun, into Kettle
Dump Holding Tank into Kettle,
Boil as per normal.

Upside, is the HLT becomes a HT and for a single batch brewery is a cheap bucket.
Downside, cannot commence heating of the first runnings until you have completed sparging and added it back to kettle. Also if you are a back to back brewer you cannot commence a second batch while the first is boiling.

Could be a way into 3V brewing with a reduced equipment requirement, and would be easy to add a full blown HLT later.

Hey a cool name for it, almost 3V

What do you think?

QldKev

Not dissing the idea Kev, but also wouldnt work for fly sparging?

I love being able to run off from the HLT through the mash and right out into the kettle, It would also be one more thing to clean yeah? I hardly ever see the inside of my HLT anymore except for maybe adjusting the water.... and even then I dont actually see inside.

would be a good option for someone who had not yet got all the bling together for sure.

:icon_cheers:

Agree with ya, it's definitely not a fly sparge option.

Also I love hitting the elements in my kettle as soon as they are covered. So by the time I have recirculated the batch sprage the inital runnings is already very hot, reducing the time to the boil.

I was just thinking I wonder how many people who currently BIAB that would like to try 3V could give it a go for next to nothing.
With BIAB you already have the kettle,
most would probably have an esky that could be used for a mash tun, so a simple braid/false bottom and valve setup is eneded
and the only other vessel is a $10 pal.

The cleaning of the pal should be a quick rinse as the wort has only sat there for a relatively short time and it hasn't been boiled.

edit:
Another idea
Good for fly sparging,
also leaves a handi-pal which has only had water in it
and allows you to commence heating the first runnings immediately

At the end of the mash, dump the sparge water from the kettle into the handi-pal.
Dump the first runnings to the kettle
Fly or Batch sparge from the handi-pal

QldKev

This is exactly how my 3v setup turned into a 2v. I batch sparge into a bucket or 2, kettle doubles as HLT.
It was more trouble than it was worth having separate HLT due to power constraints.
Can't say I miss a dedicated HLT, time impact is minimal. Kettle is already setup on a Spiral Burner so more efficient to heat liquor using this than having to provide another vessel/heat source.
I do only do single batches and don't do back to back brews. I wish I hadn't bothered trying to have a HLT in the first place, part of the learning curve I suppose. Maybe I'll 'learn' that I need it back eventually.

I employed virtually the same method for a few brews. I had it as single level single brown pump to get the water into the mash tun from the kettle/hlt. It is a cheap option and is a simple approach .

See also 2 Or 3 Vessel Reasons.

Cheers,
tallie

Edit: I essentially did this for a hand full of brews when my HLT element died. Lifting heavy buckets of wort/water around got tiring pretty quickly though and sped up the replacement of the element!

You could plumb the bucket(s), my $9 Bunnings ones have a threaded hole.
But single batch, I never lift more than 10kg or so, I just run 20L into 2 buckets from first runnings and that's based on 90 minute boil (40litre pre-boil volume)
2nd runnings and beyond can go straight to the kettle.

I think it's good advice to anyone wanting to try out having a dedicated mash tun, knowing they just need the Mash Tun and a bucket or 2 that you probably already have anyway.

You could plumb the bucket(s), my $9 Bunnings ones have a threaded hole.
But single batch, I never lift more than 10kg or so, I just run 20L into 2 buckets from first runnings and that's based on 90 minute boil (40litre pre-boil volume)
2nd runnings and beyond can go straight to the kettle.

Yeah, my "empty bucket" was my HLT keggle, which added significantly to the weight I was moving around. I'm surprised I persisted for more than one batch to be honest, but you're low on beer, you've got to get your priorities straight ;)

Cheers,
tallie

Those pioneering days of picking up keggles full of hot liquid, it's like a rite of passage or a Darwinian selection process for brewers.
I <3 my buckets lol.

If you've got a pump you could rig something up to avoid lifting anything serious, I used to wish I lived on a hill!

Day%203%20hanging.jpg

I like the idea, but how about after the initial mash Heating the water in kettle, putting it into the "HT" while you drain MT directly into the kettle.

This leaves you with the option of batch and fly sparge and once you drain the kettle for the first time you can then put the heat on straight away.

I was thinking about this the other day because i am wanting to go from biab(60L pot) to 3/2v possible 3 -4 batch brews with say a 80L pot as im already doing doubles with my 60L and a 19L kmart pot on the stove top to sparge with 15L of water

Couldnt i keep the voile instead of the braid?

So it would go like... from HT to BIAB pot

Add mash water
Add step water
Add sparge but actually recirculate this back through the HT for 10 mins with full volume or/and check PH levels then commence boil?
If the flow rates are right i should never over flow the BIAB pot but end up with correct water levels in the new 80L pot?

Its a thought right now and something in my head is trying to scream that something isnt right here. I jsut cant see past the bag though :p

Could be a way into 3V brewing with a reduced equipment requirement, and would be easy to add a full blown HLT later.

What do you think?
Exactly what I used to do with my old system - and I thought a common/logical/cheap transition into a 3V system from a single boiler/urn/BIAB:
Urn for HLT/Kettle
Esky with manifold
Plastic fermentor for as holding-tank

However, since I didn't have a pump (possibly a good assumption since we're talking about the system being a cheap/transition) lifting the holding-tank to drain it back into the Urn was a right pain in the ass, as was the setup and messing around involved.
The addition of a pump and the additional cost of the extra vessel is well worth it IMHO, but your almost 3V works fine, and is cheaper - just not easier to run.

Looking at my 3V system the other day I had a thought about a possible simpler way of setting up a system.

In the case of people with electric kettles on their 3V, such as myself and only ever batch sparge, why do we need decent quality and sized vessels for a brew?. It's the way we use them, a HLT, Mash Tun and Kettle. Since both the HLT and Kettle perform heating tasks for the large volumes we use decent vessels. What if we changed our HLT into a Holding Tank (HT). In the case of a single batch system we could use a standard handi pal for a holding tank, without converting it into a bucket of death. The day would go like this...

Use the Kettle to heat the strike water
Mash in (and start mash recirculation if applicable)
Adjust kettle to sparge water temp.
At the end of mash, dump runnings into insulated Holding Tank
Batch sparge from Kettle. Kettle should now be empty.
Dump second runnings from mash tun, into Kettle
Dump Holding Tank into Kettle,
Boil as per normal.

Upside, is the HLT becomes a HT and for a single batch brewery is a cheap bucket.
Downside, cannot commence heating of the first runnings until you have completed sparging and added it back to kettle. Also if you are a back to back brewer you cannot commence a second batch while the first is boiling.

What do you think?

QldKev

This is exactly the method i have used since leaving the bag behind.

Only thing is my batches are only ever 12 - 15L so there is no real heavy lifting involved = no downsides for me currently.
Due to my low consumption i doubt i will ever need to brew more than i am.

I enjoy the clear wort into the kettle, so much less mess and waste, smells cleaner looks pretty.
Pretty sure my beers are slightly better and more consistent overall, but of course this is highly debatable subject.

Back