3rd Runnings Mild?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sinkas

Reaction score
Hi All,
I Made Jamil Zainasheff's American BarleyWine today (27 BRIX) and even after hitting Pre Boil Vol, and SG, I ran 15 L of water through, and got 14 L of 1040 Wort, I boiled and bitter to 15 IBUS, with a dosing at flameout of Cascade and Saaz, question is, shuld I bother throwing some S-O4 into it, or will it be a tannic, grainy, mess?

I only ask as I dont actually have a fermenter free, and will have to ferment it in my toilet cistern, or some such vessel.

If you are batch sparging I think it would be fine... chuck it in the toilet and ferment away :)

It could quite possibly turn out very fine. I always do this when I brew a big beer. Last barleywine I brewed (OG 1.100) also produced a brown ale (OG 1.042). I could have almost split that one into three gyles.

Hi All,
I Made Jamil Zainasheff's American BarleyWine today (27 BRIX) and even after hitting Pre Boil Vol, and SG, I ran 15 L of water through, and got 14 L of 1040 Wort, I boiled and bitter to 15 IBUS, with a dosing at flameout of Cascade and Saaz, question is, shuld I bother throwing some S-O4 into it, or will it be a tannic, grainy, mess?

I only ask as I dont actually have a fermenter free, and will have to ferment it in my toilet cistern, or some such vessel.

Hey Sinkas,

i'd definately ferment it out, sure sounds tasty. grab a 20L cube from bcf and use that if you have to! there like $9.95. or even better go down to the local bakery/deli and grab a 20L Mayo Bucket. my local sells these for $3.99! worth a shot

Rob.

Make sure you clean the mayo out first though.

Latest posts

Back