3638 Bavarian Wheat Advice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoctorBob

Reaction score
Anyone know if this is a slow yeast.

I am 8 days into fermentation and only dropped from 1055 to 1040.

Wort was a 70% Wheat, 30% Barley, with a stepped mash.

I smacked the pack (mfg oct 2011), and had to wait 5 days for a decent swelling of the pack.

The usual 2L starter (200g DME) looked slow but smelt ok so I pitched it.

Ferment temp is 20C, and the wort was airated by pouring from the cube, then shaking the fermenter which usually does the trick for me.

I gave it a stir after 3 days. Its still going, just slow. Smells & tastes fantastic, but I am a bit concerend. I usually use 3068, and its all over in 3 or 4 days.

Wonder if the smack pack lost viability in the post a little? Its been fairly warm here in Cairns recently.

Cheers :beer:

Does this look ok? Just took a pic before swirling the fermenter to try and encourage a bit more action

P1020990.JPG

pretty unusual, although I haven't seen the krausen explosions ppl get from the 3068. Get ~3-4 inches of krausen, but thats pretty easy with a drum fermenter. I hope ur not fermenting too cool. 17-18C is a still a good temperature.

pretty unusual, although I haven't seen the krausen explosions ppl get from the 3068. Get ~3-4 inches of krausen, but thats pretty easy with a drum fermenter. I hope ur not fermenting too cool. 17-18C is a still a good temperature.

fermenting at 20C, so I would have expected quicker. Still going slow today despite a couple of stirs with a sanitised spoon. I have smacked a pack opf 3068 today and will pitch as soon as it swells. The wort still smells ok.

Latest posts

Back