30lt fermenter -vs- 60lt fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Droopy

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Have just bought a second hand fridge specifically for temperature controlling my fermenters (have also ordered a STC1000). The one I bought was supposed to be 157cm tall, perfect I thought to fit to 2 x 30lt fermenters (inc airlocks). Problem is, I got it home measured up and I was short changed 20cm - its only 137cm, which gives me about 108cm of useable space. (Measured my 30lt fermenter & airlock to sit about 60cm tall)

So it has got me thinking, I can probably fit 2 fermenters in there very slugly, but will have to modify the airlocks (so they don't stick up too tall)... Or I could look at just putting a 60lt fermenter in...

Is brewing in 60lt fermenters (i.e. double kit batches) much different than brewing single batches in 30lt fermenters???

Cheers,
Droopy

Asides from pitching rates, 60L is very much the same. Also if its a matter of airlocks, have you considered using gladwrap and the O ring from your lid to seal. Lots of established brewers on this site do it with no problems. Could be an easy solve.

Switch to using gladwrap for your fermenters and you won't need airlocks.

The main disadvantage I see with using a 60ltr fermenter will be moving it around when full. The weight will limit you to using it in situ, which may or may not be a problem.

I have no experience with 60ltr fermenters but caouldn't imagine them to be any different. Obviously you'll need to ensure you have enough yeast for healthy fermentation.

My ferment fridge accommodates 3 different scenarios.

30L fermenter (for small batches)
60 L fermenter (for big batches of the same brew)
3 x 20L cubes (for fermenting 2 or 3 different beer styles at same time - obviously all same temps)

My 3 cents on your situation - if you've already got 2 30L fermenters, keep them and use blow off tubes instead of airlocks. I have to use blowoffs when fermenting in cubes due to space restrictions - both in headspace and vertical height between shelves.

i think 60L fermenters are way, way, way overpriced, I was lucky to score a brand new one at a garage sale for 10 bucks.

If you havent already got 2 x 30L or a 60L have you considered doing a 25L willow jerry can (or cube) and your 30L? you'd most likely fit the willow on the floor next to the hump then your 30L on a shelf above? you may still need to use a blow off with the 25L jerry can though.

but to address your question. No fermenting doubles is no different in the beer making sense - but just be careful of your back, they're a lot heavier to lug around.

I use a 60L fermenter often. I love it, as I only have to clean the one fermenter for brew day. Obviously, if I want to do 2 different yeasts, I have to do 2x30L fermenters, but generally I'm lazy and just do a single yeast. Yestedray I was so lazy that I just tipped 2 different english ale yeasts into the 60L fermenter, as I couldn't be bothered cleaning 2 x 30L fermenters.

As others have said, not much difference, aside from the heavy lifting. The 60L fermenter is really heavy, so make sure that you have a way of getting it to your fridge, and a sturdy shelf to sit it on.

Also, as others have said, use gladwrap, a blowoff tube, or you might be able to find these silicone waterless airlocks somewhere.

I look at something and go "What is its function?" With about 5-6 drinkers to 'feed' for me, I have to do 50L batches because 20-25L disappears extremely quickly unless it's a 7-8%ABV drink. Make sure you can fit 2 x 25/30L fermenters (or a 60L) for secondary if you do this.

What is your brewing method (AG)? If your mash tun has the capacity, your issues will come down to energy: it may take longer for something to get to the boil if you don't have a lot of power in your burner or if you lose a lot to atmosphere; by the same token (this is good for mashes) cooling may take longer (not a problem if you no-chill); and you obviously need to be able to clean and jerk 100kg if you're going to be throwing full 60L fermenters into the fridge.

Don't over-think it, but take a quick glance over some of your equipment. Hopefully your mash tun is big enough, but also consider how long it may take you to heat water for sparges and if it's worth insulating your HLT, kettle, etc. If you do upgrade your burner to compensate, you will chew through some gas; you may also need an extra element if you like to heat with electricities.

Kaiser Soze said:
I use a 60L fermenter often. I love it, as I only have to clean the one fermenter for brew day. Obviously, if I want to do 2 different yeasts, I have to do 2x30L fermenters, but generally I'm lazy and just do a single yeast. Yestedray I was so lazy that I just tipped 2 different english ale yeasts into the 60L fermenter, as I couldn't be bothered cleaning 2 x 30L fermenters.

As others have said, not much difference, aside from the heavy lifting. The 60L fermenter is really heavy, so make sure that you have a way of getting it to your fridge, and a sturdy shelf to sit it on.

Also, as others have said, use gladwrap, a blowoff tube, or you might be able to find these silicone waterless airlocks somewhere.
Indeed. I braced the underside of mine with carefully measured 70x45 hardwood as there was NO chance the wire shelving was going to hold 50-odd kilos of delicious beer.

Hey Adro_0

Adr_0 said:
Indeed. I braced the underside of mine with carefully measured 70x45 hardwood as there was NO chance the wire shelving was going to hold 50-odd kilos of delicious beer.
your a genius

whatwhat said:
Hey Adro_0

your a genius
It's basically an upside-down tee from the side (45wide + 70wide + 45wide) and a box shape from the front

Side/section view:
____shelf___
| |
| |
| | | | bottom of fridge

Front view
______shelf__________
| |---------------------| |
| |---------------------| |
| | | |
| | | |
-------------------------