• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

30l Fermenter To Trade For 30l Fermenter - Melb

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucas

Nanobrewer
Reaction score
The short version:
I have a 30L fermenter in the shorter, wider style (coopers) and I want to swap it with someone for one of the taller narrower ones. and I'll throw in a half slab of various homebrews to make the offer more appealing. these baby's will fit perfectly in a 100 can cooler, even with an airlock attached.

The long version:
I had a thought today that if i ripped the inside of my barfridge door off I might be able to fit one of the narrow fermenters in there, and reclaim the larger fridge I've been using for fermentation and turn it into my keg fridge. I spent the afternoon drilling and sawing and what do you know, it worked! only problem being that I have 2 fat fermenters and only one tall one; and I'll need two tall ones to be able to do secondary fermentation without extra transfers.

anyone out there that would like to help me out? I'm in Box Hill, Melbourne.

Evening Lucas. I have a 37 lt fermenter you are welcome to. It measures 300mm wide (plus 65mm for the tap) and 530mm high. It's graduated in litres plus every 5 lts is marked in bold. If your are interested just pm me. :D

If that option dont work id wait for brewcrap oops brewcraft to have a sale and u can get a fermenter upgrade kit for 30 bucks including tap ect and a can of goo

What are the dimensions of the fermentors you're looking for?
the diameter is about 30cm across, and i dont think the fridge could take much more than that because of the compressor hump at the back. the fridge has 60cm of clearance, although the fermenter I have leaves plenty of room on top.

Evening Lucas. I have a 37 lt fermenter you are welcome to. It measures 300mm wide (plus 65mm for the tap) and 530mm high. It's graduated in litres plus every 5 lts is marked in bold. If your are interested just pm me. :D
pm sent! :D

The short version:
I have a 30L fermenter in the shorter, wider style (coopers) and I want to swap it with someone for one of the taller narrower ones. and I'll throw in a half slab of various homebrews to make the offer more appealing. these baby's will fit perfectly in a 100 can cooler, even with an airlock attached.

The long version:
I had a thought today that if i ripped the inside of my barfridge door off I might be able to fit one of the narrow fermenters in there, and reclaim the larger fridge I've been using for fermentation and turn it into my keg fridge. I spent the afternoon drilling and sawing and what do you know, it worked! only problem being that I have 2 fat fermenters and only one tall one; and I'll need two tall ones to be able to do secondary fermentation without extra transfers.

anyone out there that would like to help me out? I'm in Box Hill, Melbourne.

I've got the opposite problem in that my fermentation fridge is geared to hold two of the fat, shorter style of fermenters, one above the other, with the newer style of tall & narrow fermenters being too tall to fit in two.
I find that the 30 litre pails with the snap-on lids solve my problem admirably but they do not have a threaded moulding for a tap so I have to use a syphon.
Does anyone know where I can obtain 30 litre snap-on lidded pails with a threaded moulding at the bottom for a tap?

:beer:

I've got the opposite problem in that my fermentation fridge is geared to hold two of the fat, shorter style of fermenters, one above the other, with the newer style of tall & narrow fermenters being too tall to fit in two.
I find that the 30 litre pails with the snap-on lids solve my problem admirably but they do not have a threaded moulding for a tap so I have to use a syphon.
Does anyone know where I can obtain 30 litre snap-on lidded pails with a threaded moulding at the bottom for a tap?

hi TP,
Just use a snap tap with a backing nut ( similar to a bulkhead fitting) and drill a hole in the side of the bucket near the bottom.
Most brewshops have that type of tap.
Cheers

hi TP,
Just use a snap tap with a backing nut ( similar to a bulkhead fitting) and drill a hole in the side of the bucket near the bottom.
Most brewshops have that type of tap.
Cheers

Many thanks dicko but I already have one of those snap taps. :)
IMO they are a little troublesome regarding dismantling & cleaning, tightening, etc & I would rather get the pails with the threaded moulding if I can find them??
I can obtain 25 litre pails but am finding it a real pain to find the 30 litre ones. I know they are around but they are like hen's teeth. :D

im sure the brew shop near me sells them with a tap threaded bit , not that it helps you in QLD but at least you know theyre available , they may do mail order but you have to talk to them and see what cost would be to do it ... pm me and ill give you the shop details if you like ..

Tidal, I've got a couple of those 30L drums with the threads. They were made by Rheem. If I remember correctly (which I may not) I got them from the Brewiser warehouse/shop out in Sydney's west a few years ago. I think they used to can their own kits there, and presumably got the extract supplied in these from Coopers.

Apparently though Rheem haven't made them for several years, not sure whether anyone else is still making the same design.

I'd offer you mine but they have had lambics in them which means they are probably no good for anything. The lids aren't great either - it is easy to damage the thin sealing ring by pushing them on when they aren't perfectly centred. They've also been drilled to fit the large airlock. If you are really keen (ie, insane) you can have the pair for the cost of freight, which I reckon would be about $40 to metro QLD.

Tidal, I've got a couple of those 30L drums with the threads. They were made by Rheem. If I remember correctly (which I may not) I got them from the Brewiser warehouse/shop out in Sydney's west a few years ago. I think they used to can their own kits there, and presumably got the extract supplied in these from Coopers.

Apparently though Rheem haven't made them for several years, not sure whether anyone else is still making the same design.

I'd offer you mine but they have had lambics in them which means they are probably no good for anything. The lids aren't great either - it is easy to damage the thin sealing ring by pushing them on when they aren't perfectly centred. They've also been drilled to fit the large airlock. If you are really keen (ie, insane) you can have the pair for the cost of freight, which I reckon would be about $40 to metro QLD.

A little crazy but not that bad yet WG. :p Many thanks for the info mate.

Lucas

I solved my lack of fridge space by fermenting in cubes.
I've only a small fermentation fridge so I've got to make the most of it!
Cleaning's taken care of by soaking in Nappisan so not being able to get your hand into the cube isn't a problem.
You might want to look at this as an option.

Keg_Fridge.JPG

Latest posts

Back