300l Signature Brand Chest Freezer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cliffo

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Local whitegoods store has a brand new Signature brand (made in china - what isn't) 300L chest freezer going for $499 including delivery.

Measured it up and reckon it will fit 6 kegs easily with room for 2 more over the compressor hump with suitable collar.

I was only looking at a 200L job but thinking about future-proofing things a bit and uping size to 300L.

Anyway to end the ramble - has anyone heard of this brand before and if so any + or - stories? It does come with a 2 years warranty so thats encouraging.

Cheers,
cliffo

Anyone?

Looking around I can't find any other new freezer of this size that comes close on price so I think I might just take the plunge and buy it.

Anyone?

Looking around I can't find any other new freezer of this size that comes close on price so I think I might just take the plunge and buy it.

Take out an extended warrenty & go the collar so as not to void it & you can't go wrong :)

cheers Ross

Go the 300L, can never have too much cool space I reckon. I think I had a 300L and it fit 6 kegs if I used the hump so not sure you will get much more than 6 in? I could have my sizes mixed up however.

I think 4 kegs is comfortable, 6 gives you plenty of options.

Thanks guys - I've pretty much convinced myself to do it.

Will put it on the to-do list for next week and will look at building a collar next weekend.

Thankfully the GF has approved the positioning of the freezer in the loungeroom of our townhouse - we're short on space so the loungeroom it has to be....bugger that isn't it :D :beer:

Hi Cliffo - can you give a bit more info on the freezer; model number/name etc? I'm in the market for something like this and am keen to look into it over here on the other side of the sand pit

Now if you can put the lounge near enough so you can reach the tap ... bingo!

ON a serious note I have always found I make a bit of a mess no matter how carefull I am in pouring beers so you better be diligent in cleaning or you may get in some strife with SWMBO.

Hi Cliffo - can you give a bit more info on the freezer; model number/name etc? I'm in the market for something like this and am keen to look into it over here on the other side of the sand pit

Goat, Don't know much about it at all other than the brand is called Signature, its 300L, 2 year warranty and costs $499.

I've googled it but can't seem to find much info at all.

The shop that has it is a tiny place crammed with whitegoods and I wouldn't have gone in there only I noticed the freezer sitting outside the front door on the footpath.

cliffo

Thanks cliffo - the search continues....

I'm gunna go hand over my hard earned tomorrow and see if I can get it set up next weekend.

Sure will be an upgrade from my trusty 250L all fridge that can just squeeze in 3 kegs....looking forward to the $ saving in electricty use too....oh and all that room for kegs :)

Well I went and paid for the freezer today - ended up getting it for $475 so even better.

Will be delivered t his Friday.

It's here, it's here!!!

The delivery guy just dropped it off a few minutes ago.

It holds 6 kegs in the main section and depending on the height of the collar, another two over the compressor.

I think I will settle on 6 kegs and use the rest of the space to hold glasses, hops, etc....

Now I need to buy two more Ventmatic taps...hmmm...good timing given Ross' xmas promo.

Goat - FYI there is a number for the sales department if you want to chase up this brand in your area - (02) 9832 9122. It is a Signature SIG-300F.

Now before I get to building the collar, does anyone have any tips for a tool-challenged individual such as myself?

What is the best type of wood? Do I just use brackets on each inside corner to hold the collar together? Will the collar be sturdy enough just resting on the freezer rim or should I make some sort of internal bracing into the freezer to hold it in place?

Finally heres a few photos of the freezer:

The freezer and the fridge it will be replacing (hopefully soon):
IMG_4560.JPG

Inside the freezer:
IMG_4563.JPG

Do you even need to put a collar on cliffo? It looks like there is enough clearance to not need one.

Hey Goat its not so much the clearance thing. You sort of need the collar to put your taps in. Drilling the fridge itself voids the warranty or ehances the possibility of drilling through a gas line or something electrical. :)

Cliffo nice find. Looks similar to mine.

Warren -

Fair enough - I'd just assumed there was going to be a font installed in the lid. I can see why you wouldn't want to do this.

Yeah see what you mean goat. Hard to see any other way with a font but to drill the lid (ouch). :huh:

Warren -

I'm not going to font route, collar with 6 taps is more economical and wont void the warranty.

Think I'll head off to Bunnings tomorrow to get the wood so I can get this baby up and running

Hi Cliffo,
Congrats on your purchase, I was wondering how you intend regulating the temp? Thermostat or 24 hour timer. I have a 24 hour timer that cycles on for 30-45 mins every 4 hours & I find that keeps the temp at about 4C.

Hi Cliffo,
Congrats on your purchase, I was wondering how you intend regulating the temp? Thermostat or 24 hour timer. I have a 24 hour timer that cycles on for 30-45 mins every 4 hours & I find that keeps the temp at about 4C.

Hi Paul,

I ordered a fridgement thermostat that should be here this week so once I get that wired up I can control temps that way.

I guess I could have gone the timer route but I'd rather be able to set the temp and know thats what it will be without going trial and error with a timer.

Guys, I need some advice.

I've got the collar built out of pine (2" x 3.5") as this was the smallest Bunnings had. I wanted to go 2"x3" to use the existing hinge holes in the freezer to anchor it down but anyway here's what it looks like at the moment:

IMG_2654.JPG

When the freezer lid is lifted the hinge moves the whole lid & collar around, which I gather is because the hinge is not secured to the freezer body.

Now, what would be the best way to secure this without drilling any additional holes in the freezer? I was thinking some sort of bracing strap, screwed into the bottom holes of the freezer to where I have it screwed into the collar - would this work??

Heeeeeelp!!!!! :)

Back