$30 BIAB vs $1000+ 3v herms

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should be aware that he changes his system more than anyone and then says the last thing he swore was the best ever is actually poison.

bum said:
You should be aware that he changes his system more than anyone and then says the last thing he swore was the best ever is actually poison.
There's shitloads more brewers on here that have changed their systems more than me dick head.
I started with 2V, went to 3V thinking it would make better beer & experience has proven otherwise.
I personally know five members that are on their 3rd or 4th rig so does it really matter?
He's asking a question whether different systems produce better beers or not. I think I'm qualified enough from my own experience to answer his questions.
No wonder you called yourself bum, stop being an arse.

I went fishing today with family and friends. I had the 'so called' good rig, everyone else, 'kids', had the not so good rig. Guess who caught the keepers?? Not me.

I'm 3V not that it matters. I enjoy every minute of it though.

rotten said:
I enjoy every minute of it though.
This is what my second last point is getting at. This is the reason to brew.

rotten said:
I went fishing today with family and friends. I had the 'so called' good rig, everyone else, 'kids', had the not so good rig. Guess who caught the keepers?? Not me.

I'm 3V not that it matters. I enjoy every minute of it though.
Totally agree.
As I pointed out in my post, I believe it's trying to nail the recipe for your system as opposed to what you're brewing on.
Biab, 2V, 3V, Herms, Rims, all produce exceptional results but you still need to know how to drive them.

Actually, Crusty makes a good point.

Apart from that, answering objectively (taking from Bum's advice above), look at what you are trying to achieve. The micro process you are/aren't able to do right now and if it will make a difference to your beer. More equipment might make certain processes easier. Either way, try to keep it utalitarian. If it simplifies a process while at the same time not becoming a pain in the ass itself, probably worth looking into.

Sometimes, shortcuts in the wort production (biab) can lead to more processes later on, like larger yeast cake, cloudier brew. But that is also very subjective to yeast used, hops n all. For some beers it won't even be an issue. A 3v system basically ingrains a number of processes, if you understand them, make your wort more 'standard'. I.e., more predictable. It doesn't have to be expensive. I don't claim to know all there is to it, hardly that, but it did make experimenting with things a bit easier because the equipment was able to do handle a certain amount of variability with minimal tinkering. That said, biab is a bag, how much bloody tinkering does it take at all!

I more liken a multi vessel system to a lab, where every part of the process is more closely controlled so variation in one can be measured in the end process more easily. Biab is a dirty industrial sort of process where people who really knew what they were doing have condensed it into a simple to do low cost wort production system that if run within the parameters set for it will function as designed.

PS: anyone think I'm bagging anything here, gfy

timmi9191 said:
I hear you also, yob.. But mark webber won't go as fast in a Mazda 3 and even Maro Pierre White can't make strawberry jam without strawberries..
Mark Webber can probably drive around a track in a Mazda 3 faster than any one of us in his Red Bull F1 car. Because he has the underlying knowledge, skills, and experience to get a vehicle around a track quickly and an F1 car is so technologically advanced to us that it is not drivable. Part of my point is that understanding, knowledge, skills, and experience of the process of mashing, boiling, adding hops will result in a better result (almost) regardless of the equipment. Just read the manual. :D

Where it becomes important is where the process gets slightly off track (power failure, temp incorrect, pump failure, etc, etc) and the experience to calculate this problem into the process and come up with a work-around. You can spend $30 on BIAB in Big W 20L stainless pots on electric cooktop and you are forced to understand the process to get things to work. Or you can spend $3500 on a Brau 50L which pings and beeps, controls the temp, and recirculates, etc, etc. If something goes wrong with the Brau 1/2 way through and you have no knowledge you are screwed.

So knowledge and experience is key. You can choose one system, produce good beer and never change because you fluked upon a combination that you understand and can work with. Or you can go from BIAB to 3V to 4V + herms to a 200L Brau back to $20 Big W pots, etc, etc and never get the understanding and knowledge to work out how a system that is placed before you can be used to produce decent beer.

You are producing beer that you think is better than commercial and your free-loading family and friends think it is great. Tinker with your current system and understand the process. Learn where gadgets can make your brew day more accurate/repeatable or easier. Don't add gadgets just cause you have an itch. I'm part of that crowd and we really don't need another guy crowding the space. :D

Edit: just realised my post was quite long and I should qualify it by saying that I have only made 1 AG brew so I am extremely knowledgable and should be listened to. :chug: :blink:

BIAB is better suited to 1.075 and below, all systems make great beer. As already pointed out the brewer is the difference and most of the skill is in yeast handling!!

But you have to have those $10,000 gold golf clubs if you are a good golfer!

But you would still probably be able to make a good putt with a $2 op shop putter as you have the skill to adjust to the equipment...

Wort production is easy.

It is beer production, the cold side, that is the difficult part. I reckon sanitation, temperature control and yeast health, in that descending order, make up ~80% of the quality of the finished product. Recipe 10%. Your system and procedures, and other miscellanea, the remnant.

Go with the equipment that suits you, that won't break your budget, and that will make you happy every time you brew with it. In the end, 2v, 3v, 3+v or BIAB, it doesn't add up to a hill of beans if you don't have your cold-side procedures right.

Yob said:
But you would still probably be able to make a good putt with a $2 op shop putter as you have the skill to adjust to the equipment...

That's it, but as we get more into it we find we need the more blingy stuff.

Brewing is that hobby we didn't initially want to spend that $50 for a pot on, but now throw mega bucks at bits for. It's funny how the trend has also changed, back when I first signed up nearly all systems were simpler builds (not inferior) with a lot happy to reuse old 50L kegs. I was talking to a member about my new control enclosure I want to build, so I can get all my controllers in 1 box and also not need to stop and swap over extension cord during brewing. It will cost me another $100 at least to make, and it will not improve my beer at all. When you think I run my 3V a maximum of once a month there is no cost justification.

To answer the OP, I started with BIAB and I was happy with the quality of the beer. I only went 3V as I wanted a system I could brew less often, hence needed a bigger batch size. My 3V I can make a 112L batch, and since we separate the wort from the grain it is easier than manhandling so much grain. I do think my beer has improved with the heat exchanger on my 3V as I can repeat exact brew temperatures better and in-turn allow me to tweak recipes to suit me and my system. At the end of the day I drive a V8 Holden Commodore, you may have chosen a different car to suit your needs.

My Arduino isn't hoisting my bag, maybe I'm programming it wrong.

Bribie G said:
My Arduino isn't hoisting my bag, maybe I'm programming it wrong.
you need a fishing rod to hoist your bag,how much you spend on this ghetto bag hoist is up to you. :unsure: ..cheers..spog..

3v 2v 3v 4v 1v 3v 1v now Dan`s........ they all made good beer, now to get some fresh ingredients and fire up the stirplate.

Latest posts

Back