3 Yeast Brew ......

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anthclarke

Reaction score
I mentioned this in another thread (http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=58554) where after bottling a brew late last night I decided it would be a good idea to put down a new brew straight onto the yeast cake. Had plenty of yeasts laying around so in addition pitched 2 other types of yeasts to the wort.

In summary I now have the original yeast cake from the first brew (Brewferm dry lager yeast) ...... plus I pitched a Thomas Coopers dry yeast from a Sparkling Ale and also the orginal Muntons dry yeast from the Conkerwood Black Ale.

The new brew was a kits and bits (Toucan Coopers Dark Ale + 300gm LDME + 400g BE1) and I pitched at 22c and will try and brew it at around 16c. I thought this would give all the yeasts a chance to do some work through the temp ranges.

Any ideas how bad this will turn out?

Cheers

be way over pitched infact just pitching on the yeast cake will prob be 4 times the amount you need in that batch (well prob 3 times as its a 2 can). I am not sure what/if over pitching does, I guess there would be a point where to much yeast will affect it. Will be interesting to see how it turns out and fermenting at 16c is prob a good idea it will prob get a bit hot when it kicks off if you dont have any way to cool it.

it will probably be yeasty and pretty alcoholic tasting as overpitching tends to produce Fusel alcohols.

time will tell and if it comes out bad just put it down to a learning experiance. i bet it's still drinkable though ;)

mixing yeast can be fun, i play around with it sometimes as well, as a matter of fact one of the beers i'm drinking at the moment was a mix of washed k-97 brewed for one day at 20C after which i lowered the temp and pitched a sachet of morgan's lager yeast. turned out pretty well! but i bet i'll never be able to recreate the taste again lol

Unless you've used the lager yeast before and its ok at 16C i'd be dropping it to 10-12C, maybe even lower with such a high pitch.

Latest posts

Back