3 Wireless Modem Dropping Out

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve

On the back bloody porch!
Reaction score
Thought I might ask this here as theres a few techi computer guys around the traps. Swapped my old imac for an old pc from work (shudder). It was FREE! and my old imac was slower than me. Anyways I use a 3 mobile broad band USB dongal modem thing. Never had a trouble with internet connection on the mac but with this pc it drops out every half hour or so. I have to restart the machine so it re-boots the modem. Its got office 2007 on it and its a hp. Sorry dont know much more about it as i dont really know much about pc's. Yes ive googled but cant find an exact answer. Any ideas?
Cheers
Steve

Well they are called PC's for a reason..."Piece of Crap"!!

If you haven't had the issue before with the mac and using the same modem with the PC then it is obviously the "new" computer. Could be the USB port...maybe try putting it in another usb port if you have more than one...especially one on the front if the one you are using is on the back. Might be the USB board that is playing up.

Just out of interest what sort of iMac was it?

If you want to know more about your PC, as in whats on the inside, go to "My Computer" and click on "System information" on the left...could be called something similar but pretty sure thats what its called.

This will atleast tell you what the processor, HD, Ram etc is like.

I have no idea what you should do other than piss off the PC and go back to the trusty mac...but I am sure there is a better way to fix it and starting with some system info might be a good place to start.

Also put a post up on Whirlpool Forums .... there is more computer nerds on there than here...all the computer nerds here are under the influence anyway :p

Cheers, Pok

P.S Just go back to the mac.

My 3 dongle works fine on my iMac 27 inch jobbie and also on my 'visitor use' laptop. They all connect wireless to the dongle via a 3g router upstairs. I suggest:

Download latest software from 3
Uninstall all modem software
reboot
pray
reinstall new software/drivers
plug in dongle finish install
reboot
pray
go online

If it still happens check your settings for auto disconnect after x-amount no activity etc

or
C:format /all :D

Edit: Both the iMac and Lappy work fine connected directly to the dongle as well except that the reception downstairs is 1 bar. Upstairs with a tin foil dish I made pointed at it by the window i get full bars HSDPA. Hence my move to wireless router..... best move ever.

Edit: Both the iMac and Lappy work fine connected directly to the dongle as well except that the reception downstairs is 1 bar. Upstairs with a tin foil dish I made pointed at it by the window i get full bars HSDPA. Hence my move to wireless router..... best move ever.

Now this is interesting, I just got one of the wireless routers, how did you know which way to point your foil dish? Is it aimed towards a tower or just the window??

Pics would be great.

Will reply later on - dashing out to a BBQ in 3 mins..... It's basically a doubled over tin foil pressed into a bowl to get a dish shape. I hooked up the dongle to the lappy via usb ( easier than lugging a 27" iMac upstairs ) and monitored the signal strength on the pc software. Note that a lot of the time it sits idle on colour blue ie full strength 3g but when data is up or downloaded it switches to HSPDA green colour on modem. Then just plugged the wireless router into the dongle in that position and viola. I can easily see what speed it is going by checking it's green when downloading or checking a speed site but you sure as hell know if it takes 5 mins to download a 1 meg file :) Took awhile to get a good location by trial and error but if you know where the signal is coming from place it near or on a window sill there.

The foil dish is pointed directly AT the modem ie signal comes in window and bounces or at least concentrates signal there. It works otherwise I would be insane from poor reception. Got the idea from whirlpool.

Yeah I have read the wok idea as well. Here is my foil dish. It's 2 years old now so it's a bit tatty but it works like it did all new and smooth......

DSCF3010.jpg

Question any reason you guys are using 3G over a DSL connection? I would've thought that 3G would be an expencive way of connecting to the internerds unless you are using it in a mobile situation?

I'm on the road all day and use it with my lappy out and about. Best thing ever. 8GB is enough......just for me. It works out cheaper monthly for me as I am totally wireless ie no land line fees and internet on top of that. I use SKYPE as a land line and for overseas calls. So cheap it's laughable. My only option at my house is cable and a ph line must be installed as no adsl2 here.

When I first moved here I wanted to shift my NakedDSL I had with iiNet across to here as I'd had it at the old place and it was awesome there. When I first connected it I was told it wouldn't be an issue to move it to anywhere in the Sydney Metro area and I may cop a small relocation fee only.

Well, after weeks of them stuffing about, multiple hours on calls telling them that the fault hadn't been resolved (they claim that my line should be active and the problem was my equipment) I gave up on them, and seeing as though both our mobiles are with 3 I got mobile net through them and told iiNet to go f*ck themselves. iiNet tried to charge me multiple fees including: Connection fee for a phone line that they never connected, monthly charges for an account that they failed to relocate, and also a nice big cancellation of contract fee. After multiple attempts to tell them I was going to refuse to pay on the grounds that they had broken the telecommunications act several times I ended up involving the ombudsman and suddenly the charges that "couldn't be cancelled" were, well, cancelled by a higher level of customer service.

At at $39 a month for 12gb of data, it's cheaper than trying to go down the phone line route again and it means next time we move I can simply pick up the router and place it on the desk at the new place, no dicking about.

Fair enough.
How do you find the speed?
I've got aDLS2 through hellstra (I'm on a bundle - foxtel platinum IQ2, home line basic, 50gig aDSL2 for $200ish month) because I borrowed a Telstra next G usb "modem" from telstra (via our work account manager) and I felt it was too slow - and back then I was on a 1500 aDSL1 connection. My partner and I also both log in remotely (I use VPN she uses remote desktop software) to our workplaces so speed is an issue (we're actually lucky if we do 3gig of traffic a month).
Previously I was with aanet paying $39month for a 1500 connection and $21.25 for my phone which is only used for the foxtel on demand content / subscription purchases and the internet. So a 3g setup would be idea if it were fast enough

fixed it, simply by downloading and using firefox instead of ie (same as what I used on the mac)

Latest posts

Back