3 Monts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess so, Warren. I guess I just prefer the sort of amber or darker beers in this style. Really of course, they're not the same sort of beer at all. But something like Gavroche really floats my boat. :icon_drool2: :icon_cheers:

Anyone tried Jenlain Ambree?

I love Farmhouse Ales. One of the most inspiring and interesting things I've read.

I tried a couple of different Jenlain varieties out of a supermarket - can't remember the names specifically but one was golden and one was a bit darker. Flavours were not strikingly different.
I found these to be a fraction sweeter than some of the other varieties like 3 Monts - not quite as crisp and balanced.
Still very enjoyable though (nice on warm evenings with some mild cheese and watching my kids in the playground)

I love Farmhouse Ales. One of the most inspiring and interesting things I've read.

I agree, this is a great book.

It is interesting to see the % alcohol in the original examples compared to what most homebrewers pump into them today. They were used to rehydrate filed workers and used as a substitute for water.

Regards

Graeme

Yes, its probably the most mass-produced of the BDGs but nonetheless a lovely drop, very caramelly-malty with a nice aniseedy hop character. I grew quite fond of it when we were staying in Paris. Back in 2003 is was only around 1.50-2.00 euros per bottle. As common in the supermarkets as VB is here. :eek:

Warren -

I found these to be a fraction sweeter than some of the other varieties like 3 Monts - not quite as crisp and balanced.
Still very enjoyable though (nice on warm evenings with some mild cheese and watching my kids in the playground)

Yes, its probably the most mass-produced of the BDGs but nonetheless a lovely drop, very caramelly-malty with a nice aniseedy hop character. I grew quite fond of it when we were staying in Paris. Back in 2003 is was only around 1.50-2.00 euros per bottle. As common in the supermarkets as VB is here. :eek:
Warren -

Good to hear it's not terrible! I'll have some soon, and was a bit sceptical of the "biggest selling bdg" tag. I guess when expectations are low, you can be pleasantly surprised. No yeast character to speak of?

No yeast character to speak of?

None to my tastes. Just nice and clean, caramel malt and delicate hops. My guess is older samples may get some of that so-called cellar "mustiness". The ones I drank in Paris could be deemed "Brewery Fresh".

Bit of laying down cold aid the complexity.

Warren -

Tried this once. Be reluctant to try it again

Found it had a harsh solvent taste

Apologies to 3 Monts

Despite the above previous statement - I tried this beer again recently. Very nice beer - stronger style than I usually drink but full of flavour. The one I tried in 2006 must have been damaged by storage/transport.

Mia Culpa

jimmy

Good to hear it's not terrible! I'll have some soon, and was a bit sceptical of the "biggest selling bdg" tag. I guess when expectations are low, you can be pleasantly surprised. No yeast character to speak of?

Are you guys getting stock of these beers?

Had one of these today at lunch

Not a very exciting beer. Hides the alcohol well, but tasted much like a run of the mill euro lager to me, clean, crisp, dry, and decent hop character but at $17 a bottle maybe I was expecting something a little more interesting...

Cheers

Had one of these today at lunch

Not a very exciting beer. Hides the alcohol well, but tasted much like a run of the mill euro lager to me, clean, crisp, dry, and decent hop character but at $17 a bottle maybe I was expecting something a little more interesting...

Cheers
My thoughts exactly.
Not very exciting.. well hidden alcohol.. but outstanding, no.
Just a really good beer flavoured beer.

Im back at LaChouffe in future for $$ beers.

Latest posts

Back