3-day Heatwave In Sydney

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJR

I'm out
Reaction score
Lock up your fermenters in your coolroom guys in Sydney...

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/threed...0246191727.html

NSW residents are being told to expect a hot Thursday as the Bureau of Meteorology forecasts a three-day heatwave in Sydney starting tomorrow.

The Bureau is forecasting a top of 33 degrees in Sydney's west and 31 degrees in the city tomorrow.

Senior forecaster Bob Moore said conditions were expected to get warmer on Friday, with a top of 35 degrees expected.

Warm temperatures are forecast for the whole state, although Mr Moore said north coast residents may be spared by sea breezes.

The Rural Fire Service has imposed a 24 hour total fire ban from midnight tonight for the eastern Riverina, southern Riverina, northern Riverina and the state's south west.

"It's going to be pretty hot the next few days, winds are swinging around a bit more to the north and north west," Mr Moore said.

"There are some hot conditions already over far western NSW today and they'll shift a bit closer to Sydney tomorrow and Friday, and there will be a change on Saturday but before that gets here it will be pretty hot as well."

Weak sea breezes are unlikely to bring much relief to those living in and around Sydney, with Mr Moore expecting the hot temperatures to be consistent throughout the city.

"A single hot day is not that unusual but to get three days of hot temperatures is a bit out of the ordinary, it would have probably only happened a few times on record," he said.

With large crowds expected to attend beaches over the coming days, Surf Life Saving NSW has issued a reminder that swimmers are putting themselves in danger if they chose to swim in unpatrolled areas or outside patrol hours.

"Swimming outside the flags or at unpatrolled beaches just to beat the crowds is extremely dangerous, as is entering the water alone," Surf Life Saving operations manager Craig Roberts said.

"Like always, the message to all beachgoers is to always swim with a mate, and to swim between the flags."

A late change on Saturday is expected to bring some relief from the warm conditions, with temperatures back into the early 20s for the start of next week.

However a seven day forecast is predicting a high of 34 degrees in Sydney's west and 33 degrees in the city next Wednesday.

AAP

Yep, and thankfully I gave my hop plants a big drink of water last night too.

Doc

lucky i just got myself a new fermenting fridge :)

lucky i just got myself a new fermenting fridge :)
hehe... it's been stinking hot yesterday and today in melbourne too and I hadnt even thought about keeping the beer cool until i saw this thread. my god it's nice to have a fridge and not stuff about with frozen coke bottles in a 100 can cooler.

And my fermenting fridge is on the blink at the moment....

Anyone know where I can pick up a starter relay for the compressor cheap?

Cheers
Ben

Ben,
I might be able to help ya out if you have a part number.

Ok, Newbie advice needed:

I have an IPA (Muntons Kit +LME+SafaleS-04) Just finishing the second week of fermentation.

Am precious about this baby as it is my first crack at the style.

Gravity was down to about 1016 last night. Its in the Garage which gets a bit hammered on hot days

Sould I bottle tonight or try and work something out in the fridge?
Or am I being paranoid?
any thoughts/wisdom/gags appreciated

FHG

Ok, Newbie advice needed:

I have an IPA (Muntons Kit +LME+SafaleS-04) Just finishing the second week of fermentation.

Am precious about this baby as it is my first crack at the style.

Gravity was down to about 1016 last night. Its in the Garage which gets a bit hammered on hot days

Sould I bottle tonight or try and work something out in the fridge?
Or am I being paranoid?
any thoughts/wisdom/gags appreciated

FHG

I wouldn't worry too much about it.
At 1016 I doubt it's completely finished fermentation (what was the OG?).
Towards the end of fermentation you can happily allow the brew to warm a little and it won't impart much in the way of funky tastes and aromas. Even up to the mid-20's at this stage won't kill it.

I should rush downsatirs and knock up another hefeweizen and have it buggered when the last heat wave hit.....NOT!!

I wouldn't worry too much about it.
At 1016 I doubt it's completely finished fermentation (what was the OG?).
Towards the end of fermentation you can happily allow the brew to warm a little and it won't impart much in the way of funky tastes and aromas. Even up to the mid-20's at this stage won't kill it.

Cheers Voosh

OG was 1054 but it hasnt really gone anywhere for the last few days. Will let it go and hope for the best B)

Did everyones brews survive ?
Been away for the last three days myself, but thankfully the fermentation freezer kept everything nice at 18 degC.
According to the temp monitoring, my brewshed got up to 41.5degC yesterday at 13:42:08.

Beers,
Doc

Been away for the last three days myself, but thankfully the fermentation freezer kept everything nice at 18 degC.
According to the temp monitoring, my brewshed got up to 41.5degC yesterday at 13:42:08.

Beers,
Doc

My brew thermometer his 34.5degC in the shade at 10.00am Sat morning... yuk.

Ben - I've got a spare fermenting fridge if ya want it. Takes 2 x fermenters at once!

Cheers - Mike

Beers,
Doc
It truely was hot out here in the hills area, Thankfully I now have a temp controlled chest freezer, kept my brews at a steady 17degrees.

Hope your wedding anniversary was another enjoyable weekend away. I hope she was surprised. :eek:

Cheers

HK

We were outside all day yesterday for my daughter's (very successful! :)) 1st birthday party, and the (uncalibrated) temp in the shade reached 40.2C at about 2.30pm I think.

I had to put a bag of ice on top of the two kegs in the beer fridge to help keep the temp down!
There were a few people who hardly moved away from the taps the whole day... Don't blame them in the slightest :p
Tim

Phrak,
Glad it all went well for ya ! even on a stinka of a day !
Yeah it went fantasically (but f*ck it was hot!). The party started at 1pm and a bunch of friends didn't leave till about 11pm! It was the first run of my very first kegging setup as well, so I was a bit worried about how it'd go, but yeah once I helped out the fridge's cooling capacity, both kegs poured perfectly! :party:

happy for thee and thy daughter.
Brew-cupboard went to 28 degrees :(
Brew fridge got to 6 degrees when usually around 2 degrees.
A bit concern my bitter and pale ales on bottles will turn heatshocked.
It was so hot I had to chill my yorkshire bitter :p

The new place we have just moved into has a concrete storage are under the stairs. It is set back into the foundations which puts it back into the hill. Basically this area didn't get above 22 degrees C on Saturday.
Looks like I have found a place to put a few fermentors. Space in the laundry for a keg fridge, plus one in the garage!
Cheers
Gerard

my hops survived quite well but it killed my strawberries and my miniture rose

Back