2nd Hand Nano / Micro Brewing Equipment

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sugar89

Reaction score
Where do craft breweries sell there used equipment when they upsize etc?

Pretty sure they keep it for trials and small batches.

I thought that might be the case, I’d love to be able to upgrade to a 200L system one day and thought a used pilot system or something along those lines would be perfect. Didn’t know if there’s some sort of secret website that I could find etc.

Sometimes they sell it to other breweries
From what I know, Hope Estate bought Murray's old brewhouse when they started out and were having nothing but troubles (their beer was pretty average to begin with)
Now they have a new DME brewhouse and they're making amazing beers
Cheap old gear isn't always a good thing

Sometimes they sell it to other breweries
From what I know, Hope Estate bought Murray's old brewhouse when they started out and were having nothing but troubles (their beer was pretty average to begin with)
Now they have a new DME brewhouse and they're making amazing beers
Cheap old gear isn't always a good thing
You would be pretty hard pressed to argue that Shaun wasn't making good beer on Murrays old system, and on the new Murrays system and on the Foghorn system...
Maybe its the brewer?
Agree on the beers at Hope, big steps in the right direction. Some very good beer being made in the Hunter.
Mark

Was at Hope the other day, a bit O/T.

Looks like they are still using the old gear from what I seen and installing the new stuff. Correct me if I am wrong, I was there on a wine tour and it was late in the day.... Lots of old SS gear and lots of new SS gear.

Hope beers are much improved. I had the double IPA, tasted one of the lagers and the strong stout, not sure the beer names. All three sensational, recommend the beer - top shelf.

If I may make take an opportunity for an improvement at Hope, it would have to be the "cellar door" staff service, could use a little freshen up.

I thought that might be the case, I’d love to be able to upgrade to a 200L system one day.

Why? That’s a lot of beer. A large brewhouse is useful if you are doing barrel projects or community brewing, distilling(check local laws) but that’s about it, and you need the FV space to match.

I have a100L setup BIAB that fills my 65L fermenter.

It’s a lot of beer, and the size of it means that brewdays need a lot of planning to work smoothly.

Why? That’s a lot of beer. A large brewhouse is useful if you are doing barrel projects or community brewing, distilling(check local laws) but that’s about it, and you need the FV space to match.

It’s a lot of beer, and the size of it means that brewdays need a lot of planning to work smoothly.

I guess I see the 200L system as a ‘smallish’ investment to start the dream (which I think most ppl have on here) of brewing and selling their own beer!!

Research "nochill" Many many brewers out batch their ferment space deliberately.
Must admit I have been keeping an eye on your project, does seem like a lot of fun!
Husky works in SS manufacture and process design (normally dairy) he had help:cool: it's always nice to have quality tradies a few steps down the hall at your paid Job.

Anyone can get access to tradies if you have the ability to design what you want, plenty of companies around that do it, my advantage was I hand picked the ones I hired for the job so you know what you are going to get. When it's costing you $70 per hour you want to have good operators on so your costs don't blow out. At 200L you might consider 44gal drums as your base tanks, it will cost you $20k plus just in stainless(no electrical or automation) if you fabricate your own custom job otherwise.

Anyone can get access to tradies if you have the ability to design what you want, plenty of companies around that do it, my advantage was I hand picked the ones I hired for the job so you know what you are going to get. When it's costing you $70 per hour you want to have good operators on so your costs don't blow out. At 200L you might consider 44gal drums as your base tanks, it will cost you $20k plus just in stainless(no electrical or automation) if you fabricate your own custom job otherwise.
Yep finding those quality hands is sometimes half the job if your not in the know.

You would be pretty hard pressed to argue that Shaun wasn't making good beer on Murrays old system, and on the new Murrays system and on the Foghorn system...
Maybe its the brewer?
Agree on the beers at Hope, big steps in the right direction. Some very good beer being made in the Hunter.
Mark
Oh, I didn't mean to say that Shaun wasn't making excellent beers with it, Murray's have been my favourite brewery for a looooong time (even back when they were at Taylor's Arm)
You could be right, it may be the brewer, but whatever it is, they've made some very impressive improvements
If only Ironbark hill could do the same...

Latest posts

Back