2nd Brew with notes.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ithinkimlost

Reaction score
Hi everybody

I'm new round here, but like all here, i do enjoy a tasty beer.

I'm a big fan off APA's, IPA's with a good kick of hops.

I've just started ferment of my second brew, here are my notes.

1.7kg BlackRock IPA
1.7kg BlackRock Amber LME

10lt Boil water
Cascade 15g @60min
Ahtanum 15g @60min
Simcoe 15g @60min
Ahtanum 15g @20min
Simcoe 15g @20min
Simcoe 15g @0min
Ahtanum 15g @0min

Kit Yeast @22deg , unsure to what yeast strain?
SG 1040

Is this crazy hoppy?

Righto, i haven't run that through my software, but my gut tells me that will be really over the top even for those styles mentioned.

Whats the AA% of your hops?

As far as yeast goes, i'd be going down the US05 / American Ale yeast road if it was me. Those styles are both pretty "hop driven" beers and you wouldn't really want a yeast that adds it's own flavour in aswell.

my 2c.

EDIT: on looking at your hop schedule, if you dropped the 60min additions, and left the rest, but added a Cascade dry hop, it might be really tasty.

Oh Big Nath

To late, that's what's in fermenting now.

Cascade 5.7%
Ahtanum 5.2%
Simcoe 13%

Would this be closer to a Dbl IPA?

I would also think that kit is pre-hopped. I hope you like really hoppy beers :)

Just put these figure in IanH's Kit spreadsheet

WOW - that comes out at a very hoppy 90 IBU

Personally I'd drop the 60 min additions because there should already be bitterness from the kit, I'm not that into 20 min additions so I'd get rid of that, and save all the hops for 10 and 0 min additions. Possibly with cascade added in. Buuuut that's my preference when it comes to hops.

especially using hopped kits, from previous experience i'd not bother with any additions earlier than 30 minutes, but stick with 10m -> 0m additions only. anything earlier that is going to cause too much bitterness, especially with high attenuating yeast like the kit standard 514.... good luck, i'm sure it's going to be very memorable!! =)

Hey ithinkimlost
I have to agree with the other blokes about 60 minute boils with a kit. You should pick a kit that should put you roughly where you want to be in regards to bitterness and then use the hps to give you flavour and aroma. That being said when using kits I would not go higher than a 20 minute boil, most often I went at 15 minutes and then 7 minutes. Good results. You might have to let yours age a bit longer, then agian you might like the bitter kick.

Best kit IPA I ever made had half a pack of low AA hops (like your non-simcoe additions) at 60 minutes. Horses for courses, mate.

What volume is your boil going to be? If it is going to be pretty small I'd be tempted to follow something like peas_and_corn's suggestion.

I've made a 23ltr batch.

I do like a hoppy beer, if this smashes me i'l just scale back next time till i get it right.

90IBU without the malt to back it up makes QldKev cry :huh:

Back