2nd Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waggastew

Reaction score
Well its time to sample my second homebrew. Given its cooling down I brewed a Tooheys Old/Porter'ish ale to the following recipe:

1 x Morgans Australian Old
1 x Brewcraft Stout Improver composed of:
500g LDME
500g Brown Sugar
500g Dex/Maltodex (unknown ratio?)
1 x Goldings finishing hops tea bag (steeped for 5 min in a cup of hot water)
Kit Yeast (Ale 514 from what I can work out)

Brewed at ~18 degC using a Smash cooler and ice bottles for 3 weeks (OG 1036/FG 1010). Bottled in PET straight from primary (had cleared up well) with 4.6g sucrose (a level teaspoon). Has been in the bottle at room temp since 20/2/10, making it a bit over 2 months old.

IMG_1054.jpg

IMG_1055.jpg

Tasting Notes: Nice fine bead with creamy off-white head that lasts the whole glass. Colour is a dark red/brown, spot on for Tooheys Old (TO). Tastes like an Old style beer, maybe a tiny bit dry (maybe more LDME and less sugar next time?). No noticeable apples/'homebrewyness', nice slightly 'sour' aroma that again reminds me of TO.

All in all another successful brew. Can't recommend enough people getting the temp under control (18-20) and giving it time to mature in the bottle.

I also have a Thomas Coopers IPA which I had a sneeky taste of last night. Probably the best brew to date. Will review soon.

Stew

Back