2L Small Batch quick cider

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spaced

Reaction score
This is an easy cider brewing recipe I came up with. At a minmum you will need:
- 2L juice (I use the Nudie cloudy juice from coles)
- Carbonator cap
- Kegging system for force carbing (or use a mates)
- Beer yeast, I've used S-33 but US-05 would be a good choice

Preferable
- Temperature control

Procedure:

1. Add juice and 1/4 teaspoon of yeast to a sterile container, cover with cling wrap and rubber band and set in 18 degree environment for 1 to 2 weeks.
2. Crash chill in a fridge for a few days so that the sediment settles on the bottom.
3. Decant cider into a 2L plastic bottle, forcing all air out and cab with carbonator cap.
4. Inject CO2 to inflate the bottle. Set regulator to 300kpa and shake the bottle like it owes you money for about 20 seconds.
5. Put bottle back in the fridge for 30 minutes to 24 hours. I recommend 24 hours if you can wait.
6. Press release valve to release any built up CO2 then remove the carbonator cap and dispense.

A few points of note:
- I've done this with the juice and strain method and it was even better than the nudie juice option. So if you have a juicer, fire it up while apples are in season.
- If you don't have temeprature control and are just using ice/water method for chilling use US-05. I've been using S-33 as it ferments fast and clean at 18 degrees and the packet I've got is a year out of date. Saves pegging it in the bin.
- This will improve under CO2 in the fridge if you leave it for longer than 24 hours. I've left it for 3 weeks and it was definitely better.
- This makes a semi sweet cider, back sweeten if you want it sweeter or use a different yeast to dry it out.
- I provide no warranty on any of these steps, your equipment will definitely be different so modify it for your setup.

Latest posts

Back