2kw heating element turned black

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xlev

Reaction score
Hi guys

I have recently built a brew kettle using a 2kw heating element http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Silver-Tone-Tubular-Water-Heater-Electric-Tube-Heating-Element-AC-220V-2000W-/390850204594?pt=AU_Business_Industrial_Industrial_Supply_MRO&hash=item5b007cd3b2

I have used it 3 times. The first time was fine, the second time there was a bit of black residue left on the heating element, and the third time basically the whole heating element turned black, it got scorched.

I think I need to buy a new element. I was looking at the ultra low watt density ones, but they usually come in 3.5kw or more, which can't be run on a normal australian plug, we can run here up to 2400W. Does anyone know of a good heater (not too expensive) that would not scorch the beer?

I saw this one https://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=3853 but it doesn't seem to be low watt energy one, so Im afraid that it would do the same thing.

Does anyone have any suggestion?

Cheers

Alex

Also just to be clear, it did not turn black because it was turned on while not in water, it turned black during the boil.

What material is the element? It's not unusual for it to turn black - that's often an oxide layer which actually ends up protecting the element.

The size of the original element you have, I think wold be pretty a decent watt density. Where is it mounted? Is it in contact with grain or anything? What temperatures are you mashing in at? You need a very low watt density for temps down at an acid rest range. Maybe a pic and more details could help us see what the issue came from.

The one from Craftbrewer I would not touch. Read this thread on those Keg King elements.

I have 2 of the 5star ones, and have had no dramas. But I don't think the heat density will be that greatly different from what you already had, so we need to work out what happened first.

Depending on where you live, perhaps contact Romar Elements. I had them custom bend two low density elements to the size of my kettle and it was cheaper than buying a bendable element from another vendor.
If you want to contact them via email, Robert is the guy I talked to [email protected] and I believe these guys make elements. I suspect they are not as cheap as the Ebay elements you linked to but then they are probably going to outlast a number of the cheaper elements.
Here is a link to their bendable elements:
http://www.romarelements.com.au/?product_cat=diy-elements-commercial&paged=2

Cheers

Roller

Here is the picture of the element. The element is not in contact with the grain, because i put a metal mash/tray on top, so the grain bag never touches the element. I mash at around 66C, then I take the bag out and boil it for 1h.

I tried to clean the element, but it just turned black, and its really hard to get staff off.

Unfortunately I don't have a 15A socket available, so I can't buy bigger elements.

Just doesn't make sense though, I have been looking around and it doesn't seem to be a common problem, so not sure what is the issue here?

Here is the picture. The heating element is not in contact with grain, its separated by a metal tray. I mash at 66C, and then I take the grain out and boil for 1h using just the element.

I have been looking around, and it doesn't seem like other people are having the same problem, so not sure what is going on there.

To be honest I am not sure what is the material, I know that the tread is brass, but not sure about the rest of it.

20140927_101002.jpg

20140927_101002.jpg

looks like burnt on crud ? or maybe the nickle / metal plating coming off ?

soak it for a bit and use a green scorer on it ? see if it comes off

warm up the soak to speed things up (even just add hot water)

i get a bit of muck on mine (same looking type element) and i just give it a rub after i empty out the boil during normal cleaning (i biab)

It looks like protein has been burnt on the element. I'm not sure why.

Very clearly (from the pix) burned on crud, I'm surprised you cant taste burnt flavours in your beer.
The cause is too high a surface heat or too high a watt density to put it another way. You need a lower density element.
Mark

Latest posts

Back