2019 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here’s the cheeky cascade!

Attachments

• IMG_3636.JPG
    IMG_3636.JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 551
Hi you all.
This year I have gone all out and bumped up my plantings from eight verities to eleven and now have twenty four crowns in the ground.
I have Fuggles, Chinook, Cascade, Victoria, Dr Rudi (Super Alpha), Target, Nugget, Perle, Pride of Ringwood, East Kent Golding and Hersbrucker.
I'm going to have far more than I could use but being and avid gardener I really like the whole growing stuff you can use vibe.
Hope all goes well for other growers, gotta love spring when hops are finished with all the planning for world domination and come out and put their plans into action.

Now just gotta get an avatar pic.
Cheers

Yup, Cascade popped up last week. Chinook, POR, Columbus & Hallertau still to come.

Super Alpha, Cluster, Chinook are all up.

I'm looking forward to this year's season if the dry spell continues in NSW. My water bill will take a hit.

I really need to sort mine out. They're still at the olds' place because I didn't really want to bring them to a rental property. Might pop in after my shift on Sunday and do something with them. I only have Cascade and Hallertau but the Hallertau did **** all last season. If they're all dead then I'm not overly bothered by it at the moment, it gets too much going around there all the time to look after them anyway. When we buy next year and are permanently in our own place I'll look to get a plantation up and going properly again.

Some of mine are just starting to poke through the soil. I need to add a thick layer of compost on top of them and mulch the sides of the mounds on my weekend.

Nice to finally have some decent weather to work outside.

Hi guys back again
Just thought I'd put up up a few pics from time to time to show the progress of my hop garden.
As I said in my 1st post I've upsized my rig from 8 plants to 24 with 11 varieties. The planter boxes are dug into the ground to try and help with containment and are 600mm deep and 1200mm square.
Hop rig.jpg

Hi guys back again
Just thought I'd put up up a few pics from time to time to show the progress of my hop garden.
As I said in my 1st post I've upsized my rig from 8 plants to 24 with 11 varieties. The planter boxes are dug into the ground to try and help with containment and are 600mm deep and 1200mm square.
View attachment 113325
Curious why you didn't mound the soil in those boxes before planting?

Curious why you didn't mound the soil in those boxes before planting?
Hi Fungrel
From a little trial and error last season I found it made no difference, being in boxes most of the plants are above the ground level of original soil, water logging isn't an issue and the only advantage I could find for mounding the soil would be that it would be marginally easier to lift the plants next season. I always intended to leave the soil 75mm lower than the top of each box and tried to factor in some settling after adding various improvers but anyway take good with the bad this will help keep the mulch in anyway. Mulching will take place once the soil warms and the plants are on their way.
Cheers.

2nd year Victoria kicking off.
This one was a rhizome in september last year.
Should i have cut it back further? Should i cut cut it back now? Theres lots of shoots happening
received_2178721005785360.jpeg

2nd year Victoria kicking off.
This one was a rhizome in september last year.
Should i have cut it back further? Should i cut cut it back now? Theres lots of shoots happening
View attachment 113353
I would have cut it back to the ground over winter.

I've never seen that kind of growth above ground. Are those last years bines that have fattened up over winter? They would have frozen here this winter, but in a warmer climate, you might be ok.

I can't advise on what you should do, but curious to see what others think. It's looking very healthy. :)

Hearing there were a couple of bad frosts in vic recently. Dont know how mine are tracking as i been away and will be back on the weekend.

Heres hoping they havnt taken off only to have been frost bitten.

Slight frost this morning however my buds are no more than a few cm long.

Had to pop over to the olds this morning to grab a sack of pilsner malt I'd left there. Had a look at the hops and the Cascade is poking through with a handful of shoots. Nothing going on in the Hallertau though, probably killed it when I set the nutgrass on fire earlier this year.

Back