2018 Stout/porter brewing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One for me but that's personal taste.

Syringe hand pump after pour finishes it for me.

What kind of syringe do you use? I have used a 100ml syringe for priming but I am trying to save time on packaging day.

Would love syringe with a trigger action that dispensed a measured dose e.g. 5ml if primer.

It's looking like I may have to go the way of carb drops otherwise, and I didn't get into this hobby so that I could spend 1600% markup on plain sugar.

He's talking about cheapskate handpump technique. Pour a low carbed beer, suck up a bit in a syringe and squirt back in.

Depending on protein/dextrin levels, you can get a nice stable head form and retain.

I have a 3mL syringe I use for that hand pump thing, it works really well actually. I also found it an effective method of degassing overcarbonated bottled beers.

What kind of syringe do you use? I have used a 100ml syringe for priming but I am trying to save time on packaging day.

Would love syringe with a trigger action that dispensed a measured dose e.g. 5ml if primer.

It's looking like I may have to go the way of carb drops otherwise, and I didn't get into this hobby so that I could spend 1600% markup on plain sugar.

After you pour a beer from the bottle into the glass, you do what Mants says. Suck up about half a syringe and push back into the beer now in the glass. It give a pretty good imitation of the creamy guinness style head without the need for a handpump or Nitro.

Thanks for the help guys, when I get to drinking this batch I'll try the syringe method too [emoji106]

I do one drop in a grolsch bottle, but you could probably go to 1 drop in a proper tallie as others have suggested and it'd be fine. I've never had issues halving drops with a sharp knife if you want finer resolution than this but don't want to bulk prime.

I've got 330 stubbies, 740 PET and some 750 coopers sparkling long necks. Might go half a drop in the 330, 1 in the PET and 1 1/2 in coopers bottles and see how that turns out.

Once I move into my new house, setup the shed and sell our current place I'll look at buying more more gear to bulk prime, have secondaries, get a kegerator etc. At the moment though while money is so tight I'm going to stick with what I have.

Thanks for all the help everyone, appreciate it [emoji106]

Secondaries aren't really needed for conditioning but bulk priming is a lot easier with a second fermenter.

I've got 330 stubbies, 740 PET and some 750 coopers sparkling long necks. Might go half a drop in the 330, 1 in the PET and 1 1/2 in coopers bottles and see how that turns out.

Once I move into my new house, setup the shed and sell our current place I'll look at buying more more gear to bulk prime, have secondaries, get a kegerator etc. At the moment though while money is so tight I'm going to stick with what I have.

Thanks for all the help everyone, appreciate it [emoji106]

What Rocker said.

Plus, Bunnings has a fermenter that will do the job for approx $20-25. It'll save your money on carb drops too.

Another thing with bulk priming is that if you have mixed bottle sizes (I've done one batch with 500ml, 568ml little creatures, 640ml craft tallies, 750ml regular tallies and 800ml VB tallies), you don't need to recalculate for each bottle, as you're priming the entire batch.

Big advice I can give though - make sure the fermenter is fully sterile and the tubing is sterile. Do not (I had my brother do this) shake up the fermenter to get the sugar mixed in, you'll oxidise it. Just use plastic clear tubing that's long enough to gravity feed and coil around the 2nd fermenter a couple of times on the inside to induce "gentle swirling action" that mixes, without adding extra unnecessary oxidisation.

That Bunnings 'fermenter' is exactly what I used for bulk priming when I was bottling. It did the job well and I still have it although it doesn't get any use at the moment. Mine is the normal white plastic but they seem to only have blue ones now.

Latest posts

Back