2014 GABF - Geelong

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are a handful of locals from the Corio Bay Brewers (including myself) heading along. I hope to meet some fellow AHB'ers on the day!

Review time

We got there about 11:30 - 12:00 and the setup was excellent, I probably prefer that setup to GABS due to it's festival type setup, music, etc, we scored one of the shade umbrellas near the Feral stall in the main grassed area so we didnt fry at all.

It was a superb event, the only frownable sort of thing was some of the people serving knew little about the beers they were serving and questions led to a few panicked looks before having to admit they didnt know the answers, there was plenty of space and lines werent too savage, we left about 5 I guess, could have stayed longer but one of the mates was feeling the effects pretty strongly so it was best to get him out and back to the accomodation where we swanned about in the pool for the remainder of the arvo working through the party keg.

A fantastc day and will be going again for sure.

no photos sorry, didnt take the camera and the phone I took wasnt equipped for it.

:icon_cheers: :party:

I had a great day too but was disappointed that there was no list of beers available. It was a bit of a pain in the arse having to try to see past the people queueing to find out what beers were on offer. Gabs in Melbourne do this really well, you can even see the list online before you go and make a plan of attack. I was also very surprised to hear them announce the peoples choice award. I didn't see any info anywhere about voting for your favourite.
I am a big fan of dark lagers but could't find a single one on offer by any brewery on the day. I may have missed it but that just reinforces the need for a published list of all beers available at the event.
It was a glorious day, I had some very good beers, enjoyed some great entertainment and food. The facilities were brilliant, lots of shady places to sit on a hot day and enjoy good beers.
I will definitely go next year if they have a list of what beers will be available on the day.

The set up for the day was a lot better designed than the previous year. Last year was great but very crowded and hard to get drink. This year was a lot more open and spread out. I was designated driver this year and still managed to try 7 different beers. I did find it hard sometimes to get the % of the beer just so i knew where i were on the BAC count.
There were a couple of non craft beer lovers who out of the blue told me my porter looking shite and then proceeded to walk away complaining their beer was shite...didn't stop them from drinking their beer though...they were amusing...
Was a good day and I look forward to being a designated drinker next year.

Nibbo said:
There were a couple of non craft beer lovers who out of the blue told me my porter looking shite and then proceeded to walk away complaining their beer was shite...didn't stop them from drinking their beer though...they were amusing...
Was a good day and I look forward to being a designated drinker next year.
The non craft beer drinkers are the experts in shit beer after all!

Latest posts

Back