2012 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spotted these little buggers today whilst checking my cascade cones for readiness.

aphids_1.jpg

Pretty sure they are aphids. Only a small handful of cones seem to be infested - none on the leaves.

aphids_2.jpg

Anyone successfully dealt with them?

aphids_3.jpg

This little bugger looks like he's making off with a bit of lupilin... *fist shake* :angry:

Starsan for aphids mate, couple of doses over a few days from the spray bottle, treated a rose bush a few years back,

Cheers

thylacine said:
"Whitefly". Revola spray works.

Planting ladybug attracting foliage (eg marigolds) nearby helps too. ie Companion planting http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s1872509.htm
They are definitely not whitefly - we have those on the beans and tomatoes :\

What's Revola? Can't find any mention of it online...

Yob said:
Starsan for aphids mate, couple of doses over a few days from the spray bottle, treated a rose bush a few years back,

Cheers
Might just give that a spin, Yob. Normal sort of dilution?

Sorry to hear about your infestation Gabe, however, the close ups of your flowers have given me a pretty good reference point for checking the maturity of my own. Cheers!

As much as I love golden orb spiders for eating bugs around the house, the pricks have taken to attaching the main strands of their webs to the tips of my bines, stretching them out and stopping them from climbing :angry:

Gabe said:
They are definitely not whitefly - we have those on the beans and tomatoes :\

What's Revola? Can't find any mention of it online...

Might just give that a spin, Yob. Normal sort of dilution?
:icon_offtopic:

Yep, bog standard solution mate.

Aparently Starsan is also good for foot rot.... what wont it do

2 more reasons to use it over iodophor :rolleyes:

If only a small number of cones are affected, why not just pick off the affected cones and dispose of. If you think they're ripe enough you could harvest also. Just putting it out as an option.

Phillo said:
Sorry to hear about your infestation Gabe, however, the close ups of your flowers have given me a pretty good reference point for checking the maturity of my own. Cheers!
G'day Phillo,
Its really hard to tell if yours are ripe or if that brown is just a bit of wind damage. The cones look quite green and normally they tend to go a slightly paler colour as they ripen. Do you know what variety they are?

hoppy2B said:
G'day Phillo,
Its really hard to tell if yours are ripe or if that brown is just a bit of wind damage. The cones look quite green and normally they tend to go a slightly paler colour as they ripen. Do you know what variety they are?
Hi again Hoppy, thanks for taking an interest! :)

They are 1st year Chinook from Dr. S and they certainly have copped some wind along with an SA summer :angry: so they probably have taken a beating environmentally. After doing some more reading and looking at pics it seems that they probably are far too green. I pulled one apart and there's some lupilin inside, but not to the extent that I'm seeing elsewhere. I will just have to keep watching them like a hawk (which is not hard, considering the ladder has been propped up next to the trellis for the last month for my daily inspection :lol:).

Cheers mate.

hoppy2B said:
If only a small number of cones are affected, why not just pick off the affected cones and dispose of. If you think they're ripe enough you could harvest also. Just putting it out as an option.
They are still a little way off being ready for harvest. I've picked off the noticably infested cones and am keeping an eye on it. Methinks I was lucky to have spotted them early on...

Phillo said:
I probably wouldn't use that first pic as an accurate reference. The shrivelled/dried look is more a result of the aphid infestation (they suck the sap from the plant). The rest of the cones were still under-ripe. I tend to go by the feel of the cones - when ready they should be papery and spring back when you squeeze them.

sorry for the delay in reply yob, internet problems for a few weeks with VIRGIN, assholes.
anyway glad to hear you can keep them that long, i have a half dozen cubes and i would like to get a few ready for fermenting when i need to.
i like the idea of N/C ,it gives a lot of scope for brewing whenever i like and being able to store it for a while.
cheers fergi

My first year Victoria is pretty happy... bless it :)

cant say that about the most of the rest of them, but I'll probably get a bit off the Cascade as well

ed: effed if I can remenber how to upload piccies here... I worked it out before and now, for the life of me I can remember

Mine look so small compared to all of your photo's.

But there are brown tinges to them due to the heat. :(

Maybe i am not watering them enough. The pot plant gets all the water from the washing machine now. The one in the ground gets the sprinkler/watering hose.

Nice crop Yob. Hopefully there are a few more bines you're not showing us. :chug:

Is anyone picking yet? my cascade come on early this year and i had to pick at least half of them on the weekend and i was a little too late for some. so i brewed a harvest ale. This is only my second year growing but i thought it was much later last year.

Aussiedrifter said:
Is anyone picking yet? my cascade come on early this year and i had to pick at least half of them on the weekend and i was a little too late for some. so i brewed a harvest ale. This is only my second year growing but i thought it was much later last year.
Most experience grower will say they come on earlier once established. They need to get to a reasonable size to start putting out burrs. Plants with a well established root mass will grow stronger and develop the necessary size earlier in the season.
I just did my second harvest of Dwarf Cluster yesterday.

Thanks hoppy2b I was getting worried I was taking them down to early and that my harvest ale would taste time lawn clippings.

Latest posts

Back