2012 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
they'll be fine mate, still dormant.. they just wont be off to the flying start a few are posting..

:icon_cheers:

I wish my hops would listen to your advice Dr. S, they get pampered and only produce a few hundred grams per year. Full sun too! <_<

I wish my hops would listen to your advice Dr. S, they get pampered and only produce a few hundred grams per year. Full sun too! <_<

I average 300g dry per plant and i do nothing other than water them during the growing season, part sun B)

I have a lazy approach to gardening so anything high maintenance dies very quickly and is never replanted. I like to think of it as natural selection with a helping hand (if only i could help out mankind in the same way). :lol:

My best had 3 buckets of hops harvested and is in landfill(bricks and gravel) with partial sun, and can only go up around 7 feet before running bak anf forth along some horizontal wires.
lots of water after a hot day and some guinea pig/chook poo on the oddoccasion. rabbit/guinea pig poo is great because it won't burn the roots, and acts like a time release pellet.

Dr S,
I've had a cascade plant for 5 or 6 years, have never had a big haul off it (probably typical for Qld) so I just let it go last year. Decided to give it a go again this year and cleared all of the grass out of the garden. The thing has gone mad. My garden is only 1600 x 1100 and it is everywhere so I am looking at "pruning" it. Any idea of how I should approach this eg start where the original plant was and work outwards, cutting off budding portions which I may be able to give to somebody? Any help appreciated,
Bob

Dr S,
I've had a cascade plant for 5 or 6 years, have never had a big haul off it (probably typical for Qld) so I just let it go last year. Decided to give it a go again this year and cleared all of the grass out of the garden. The thing has gone mad. My garden is only 1600 x 1100 and it is everywhere so I am looking at "pruning" it. Any idea of how I should approach this eg start where the original plant was and work outwards, cutting off budding portions which I may be able to give to somebody? Any help appreciated,
Bob

I start from the outside and grab the end of a shoot and pull. Sometimes i need to dig it out as they may have large roots but normally they come away easily enough. I keep pulling until it is back close to the centre or until it stops giving then chop. Some shoots are >2m in length but most are ~1m.

I know nothing about QLD weather in regards to growing anything but given they are commercially grown in Tassie, the colder parts of Mexico and New Zealand I am not surprised you dont get massive crops like us southerners do.

I average 300g dry per plant and i do nothing other than water them during the growing season, part sun B)

I have a lazy approach to gardening so anything high maintenance dies very quickly and is never replanted. I like to think of it as natural selection with a helping hand (if only i could help out mankind in the same way). :lol:

the good Dr states he is lazy.. having seen his hops a couple years back i'd suggest he has very high fertiliser levels near his plants (chooks)

I start from the outside and grab the end of a shoot and pull. Sometimes i need to dig it out as they may have large roots but normally they come away easily enough. I keep pulling until it is back close to the centre or until it stops giving then chop. Some shoots are >2m in length but most are ~1m.

I know nothing about QLD weather in regards to growing anything but given they are commercially grown in Tassie, the colder parts of Mexico and New Zealand I am not surprised you dont get massive crops like us southerners do.

Thanks for that, will give it a try.

375gm dry per first year Golding last season from 10cm long x 1cm thick start up pieces. :chug:

walked past my two mounds of dirt that are in the front yard this morning and noticed that something other than weeds are sprouting. to bad it's going to rain for the next week. might throw on some blood and bone... better start thinking about getting a trellis set up too

anyone got Centennial they are growing?

Was looking but didnt see any come up, the only mention of it Ive seen was from newguy in canadia

After playing round with the string yesterday, I reckon I can squeeze a few more varietys in

Yob

Got a Chinnook zome Among others( all have sprouted)
Haven,'t noticed anything in the last few days. I think the Chinnook popped up today
Today have a byne about 6 inches long that has crept side ways and up over the top of the pot
( in pots in the ground with the bottoms cut out of the pot)
This is a first year Zome
All looking good with the Chinnook atleast

Got a Chinnook zome Among others( all have sprouted)
Haven,'t noticed anything in the last few days. I think the Chinnook popped up today
Today have a byne about 6 inches long that has crept side ways and up over the top of the pot
( in pots in the ground with the bottoms cut out of the pot)
This is a first year Zome
All looking good with the Chinnook atleast

My cascades kicked off well,Chinook are just appearing....

IMG_2797R1.jpg

IMG_2796r.jpg

After a concerted effort today, I finally got the trellising up ready.

There is a pole and cross-piece at each end, with the poles about 3.5m high.

IMG_0953_800.jpg

My cascade and hallertau plants are off and running, with POR, chinook and saaz all starting to show shoots.

I just need to get some wire for the horizontal runs, then then I will string some twine up in a V formation for each pot.

After a concerted effort today, I finally got the trellising up ready.

There is a pole and cross-piece at each end, with the poles about 3.5m high.

View attachment 57019

My cascade and hallertau plants are off and running, with POR, chinook and saaz all starting to show shoots.

I just need to get some wire for the horizontal runs, then then I will string some twine up in a V formation for each pot.

Hay mate, Last year I had a similar setup with wire horizontal at the top.. I found that the bines struggled to grip onto the wire, I ripped the wire down this year and replaced it with rope so that the bines have something to grip.

I then thought a bit harder about it and put the wire back up to support the rope.. Its taken the sag right out of the rope and provides support.

Capture1.JPG

as it was

Capture.JPG

as it is now with the wire for support

Yob

Walking past my pots as I was heading to the beer fridge and saw a welcome surprise...new season growth!

Goldings: Second year with no yield last year.
Goldings_03__edited_.jpg

POR: Second year with only a handful of cones last year
POR_02__edited_.jpg.

Tettnanger: Second year with only a handful of cones last year.
Tettnanger_02__edited_.jpg

Crappy phone pics, etc etc etc.

Now if only the Hallertau and Perle would pull their digits out i'll be running on all 5 cylinders.

Taking these to my grandparents farm for this season in a couple of weeks, can't come soon enough by the looks of it!

(the ghetto excuses for proper pot labels were a short term fix for an unexpected house move a few months ago, and laziness has allowed them to survive this long.)

Back