2012 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers, I've been looking for something like this for this years hops.

Cheers, i daresay i will need alot of them soon - one of my goldings already has 28 bines...

gallery_19421_895_369065.jpg

Don't count your bines before they are grown. :D

I planted my rhizomes a couple of weeks ago now and still nothing.

I think they may be dwarves :D

I planted my rhizomes a couple of weeks ago now and still nothing.

I think they may be dwarves :D

If it is still asleep it might be the Snow White variety. Have you tried kissing it? :D

Mine have poked their heads above the ground now. One would've grown an inch in today's spring sunshine I reckon!

I had a tip of a Columbus I bought in this year starting to poke the surface in the last couple of weeks. I discovered today it was rotting on the end because it accidently got covered up when I watered it. I lifted it and planted it closer to the surface with a couple of shoots poking out. Hope it is going to be ok. :blink:

All mine but the Mt Hood are above the ground, I'm going to have a little dig tomorrow, I can't help it! :p

I'm going to have a little dig tomorrow, I can't help it! :p

;) I hear that.. I had a little dig today, confirmed that I should just have patience... and work out a way to stop the fking cat thinking it's a great spot of an arvo relax session <_<

;) I hear that.. I had a little dig today, confirmed that I should just have patience... and work out a way to stop the fking cat thinking it's a great spot of an arvo relax session <_<

mmmm cat with soy bbq and brown sugar and maybe a touch of garlic. braised in the camp oven. yum better than rabbit.

One of the residents of the street has an over sized rat (dog of some description) that keeps getting away from its owners and making a beeline for my backyard, presumably to chase our cats. Cats climb a tree, dogs gets bored and starts scratching around underneath the tree where i regularly dump the hops etc from the kettle. If only the dog hop urban myth was based in reality.....

@iamozzyyob - don't worry about the cat, my chooks keep getting into my hops and scratch them up good. They always come good. You have to much better than that to kill a hop plant. Pretty sure my cats use the hop garden as their private ensuite too.

Q: SWMBO scored me 3 hop rhizomes a month ago and we planted them in pots and stuck them over by the fence.
Two get full sun and one is fairly shaded. One of the full sun pots has sprouted well (cascade) the chinook alongside it has only a small bine just peeking, the saaz in the shade isnt showing much action at all.
Do they need full sun or part sun? What's best for them? I'm guessing full sun?

Full sun is best. Some varieties will tolerate partial shading.

Dwarf variety's need no sun, they grow on moon beams and fairy's farts.

I will assume however that the cascade, chinook and saaz are not dwarf cultivars and can do with as much sun as you can give them, plenty of water in pots too when it starts to warm up.

:ph34r:

B) Hmmmm.... fairy farts, you learn something everyday.

All mine but the Mt Hood are above the ground, I'm going to have a little dig tomorrow, I can't help it! :p

If thats from me Batz then it will be a late starter. Its always been the last up but first to harvest. Nearly all of mine are just poking thru, but no Mt Hood as yet. Give it time ;)

Got my 3 in the ground over the weekend, just have to provide some protection from lazing dogs this weekend and sort a trellis of some description. Looking forward to seeing them grow and then brewing with them, should be good.

Q: SWMBO scored me 3 hop rhizomes a month ago and we planted them in pots and stuck them over by the fence.
Two get full sun and one is fairly shaded. One of the full sun pots has sprouted well (cascade) the chinook alongside it has only a small bine just peeking, the saaz in the shade isnt showing much action at all.
Do they need full sun or part sun? What's best for them? I'm guessing full sun?

Part sun is fine, my Victoria plants don't get hit by the sun until early afternoon, the Chinook a few hours earlier. Both are very vigorous growers and produce more hops each season than i currently use!

Full sun vs part sun is always highly amusing, people spend far too much time molly coddling plants that really don't need it. Most plants will grow fine in part sun or even full shade, just slower. If they didn't they would have died out hundreds of thousands of years ago.

Hops are easily the hardiest thing in my garden requiring the least effort to grow and the most effort to control. They are weeds in that respect. Only the boysenberries/blackberries in my garden are more hardy and more invasive. The growth is rampant, requires very little in the way of nutrition, water and some sun and they grow up to 30cm a day in the height of the growing season.

I cut them back brutally at the end of the growing season just to keep them under some semblance of control. The cuttings are what i then sell. The mother rhizome (chinook) i planted more than 5 years ago now covers a area of ~ 2 x 2 m in thick woody roots that needs loppers to cut and are up to 3cm in diameter and that is after i cut it back. If i didn't i wouldn't have a vegie patch anymore. Some years a few shoots escape and i find them metres away using whatever vegie plant is nearby to climb. Last year the tomatoes were used as a trellis, the year before was the corn. You can spend a lot of time nursing them, feeding the, tipping them, cutting back the number of bines etc and I have no doubts you will get better yields. You can also do next to nothing other than water them and allow them to climb something and you will still get plenty of hops. It depends on how much you value your time.

My 2 c
Cheers
DrSmurto

took an hour or so to get this second Year Chinook out of the pot it was in and into the ground, in the middle of another 2 chinooks... not quite sure how I ended up with 3 of them but hay.. maybe I'll dig up 1 next year and pass it on :)

1.JPG

I had to further wash the roots clear, they were firmly attached to the styrofoam later in the bottom of the pot

2.JPG

When the crown and hole settles, the crown will still be above ground level

2.JPG

Nicely settled and watered in

This year is going to be fun... now, where did I put that string B)

ed: im having trouble with images today cant seem to get rid of the offender <_<

Attachments

• 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    309.3 KB · Views: 25
Gents,

I bought a few different rhizomes (off the good doctor, bigsam and some rando on eBay) last month. The catch: I'm overseas at the moment and the rhizomes are currently residing in the fridge at the parental units' house. I'm was planning to plant them out when I get home in the first week of October, but I'm beginning to wonder if I've done my dough.

Will the rhizomes be ok or a write-off in a months time?

Back