2012 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay. I reckon I'll be weighing in at approx 50g for the whole season from my 1st year Chinook. :(

It only grew 2 bines, and something ate the end off of one of them, but it sprouted 2 heads which proceeded to grow the height of the trellis (~4m).

Better luck next year huh?

it sprouted 2 heads which proceeded to grow the height of the trellis (~4m).

It must have been a tassie strain

Hi guys, please see the two photos I have attached of cross sections of my hops. They are a first year chinook from DocS and a 3rd year Cascade. I have included both large and smallish cones to show how they have developed I'm pretty sure they are both ready to harvest based on the lupilin and also they are quite papery when cutting them open. However I would like your input on their readiness.

Cheers
Karl

image.jpg

image.jpg

woody0055 said:
it sprouted 2 heads which proceeded to grow the height of the trellis (~4m).

It must have been a tassie strain
Ha!

I go by the colour of the cones Brewnut if that helps. They should start going a golden colour and you will start to see some browing of the bracts. You might not necessarily need to pick the whole plant at once either.
I think the paperiness is a reference to the fact they start becoming slightly dry on the plant.

hoppy2B said:
I go by the colour of the cones Brewnut if that helps. They should start going a golden colour and you will start to see some browing of the bracts. You might not necessarily need to pick the whole plant at once either.
I think the paperiness is a reference to the fact they start becoming slightly dry on the plant.
I thought YOU waited until they were all brown? :ph34r:

Brewnut said:
Hi guys, please see the two photos I have attached of cross sections of my hops. They are a first year chinook from DocS and a 3rd year Cascade. I have included both large and smallish cones to show how they have developed I'm pretty sure they are both ready to harvest based on the lupilin and also they are quite papery when cutting them open. However I would like your input on their readiness.

Cheers
Karl
Hi Karl

The ones are the left are lookingf very good. If they feel quite papery rather than spongy then i would say they are ready to pick. If you see a slight browning of the tips then you are definitely ready to pick. The size of the cone doesn't matter if the above applies.

Cheers
DrSmurto

DrSmurto said:
Hi Karl

The ones are the left are lookingf very good. If they feel quite papery rather than spongy then i would say they are ready to pick. If you see a slight browning of the tips then you are definitely ready to pick. The size of the cone doesn't matter if the above applies.

Cheers
DrSmurto
The ones on the left are the three year Cascade with your Chinook on the right. Yep the Chinook doesn't have as much Lupilin in it when cut open. As for browning some of the cones got roasted in the weeks of 30 degree plus we have had in Melbourne so some are artificially browned :-(

Harvested my 1st year Victoria and Goldings today. 544g Victoria and 137g Goldings. The goldings really didn't like the hot weather and i turfed a few handfuls of cones that were crispy brown. Victoria on the other hand, didn't seem to have minded at all.
My hands were so yellow it looked like I chain smoke fistfuls of cigars.
Will harvest the Chinook on the weekend. Should get close to 500g there I think.

Can't wait to see what sized crop they manage next year.

Can anyone give me a rough idea of how much additional wort will be trapped in flowers? (Litres of additional wort lost to trub per kilo of flowers added)

I'd hate to unexpectedly end up 5L shy of final volume.

Picked all my hops yesterday by lowering the ropes while standing on the ground. What to do with the bines now?

Lift them back up to allow them to gather a last bit of energy or cut them back?

If i cut them back then where? How high from the ground?

punkin said:
Picked all my hops yesterday by lowering the ropes while standing on the ground. What to do with the bines now?

Lift them back up to allow them to gather a last bit of energy or cut them back?

If i cut them back then where? How high from the ground?
From everything I've read mate, it's best to lift them back up. Over the next couple months while the die off, they will suck all their nutrients back down into their roots. So I wouldn't cut them back until say June/ July. Let them die off naturally.

one of my rhizome died at the end of last season because I trimmed back the bines either too early, or too close to the ground :(

it was my star achiever :(

Liam_snorkel said:
one of my rhizome died at the end of last season because I trimmed back the bines either too early, or too close to the ground :(

it was my star achiever :(
Which variety was that Liam?

it was a cascade I believe.

I also had two chinooks in the same garden bed the only difference being that I left their bines up for quite a while.

Back