2010 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
think you watered it a bit to much rotgut lol. Hopefully it wont affect it to much for you.

Cascade going mad, have wet hopped my first brew with some last week...

Cascade1.JPG

Gday guys looking at growing my own cascade and or chinook plants how and where do i start to source the products? Cheers Tim

Hey guys,
I have been a bit busy lately but finally had a look at the hop garden yesterday .they have tried to take over the house. Picked half a bucket load off my cascade. The cluster and the Hersbrucker look to have heaps more cones. I will know better when they ripen in aweek or two ?

mine arnt faring so well. I forgot to water them a few days when it was 40+ deg and now they are dying off :eek: hopefully I can revive them but all the cones are shot for this year at least. I think I need to replant them as the soil I got doesnt really let the water soak in so that could be another reason. lets hope next year goes better lol

Gday guys looking at growing my own cascade and or chinook plants how and where do i start to source the products? Cheers Tim

Wrong time of the year to source plants (although it can be done, I think there was a recent thread with someone selling pots). Wait a few months and you'll start to see a few threads popping up with people either selling or giving away rhizomes. I got all mine as 'freebies' and will return the favour to the AHB community when they are big enough to divide - probably after next season. Its a lot of fun, especially now that I've had some cones forming on my Mt Hood and goldings. The cascade, tett and Hallertau are a bit behind -its been crazy weather here this year and I think the poor buggers are confused!

I discussed getting rhizomes a bit here: Growing hops in 1/2 wine barrels

An excellent read is also here: DIY Hops - how to grow and use them

Rhizomes will become available in June/July. There will be heaps of sources.
I am not really sure what to do with my Chinook flowers, apparently they can be a bit 'grassy'. They do grow very well though.

mine arnt faring so well. I forgot to water them a few days when it was 40+ deg and now they are dying off :eek: hopefully I can revive them but all the cones are shot for this year at least. I think I need to replant them as the soil I got doesnt really let the water soak in so that could be another reason. lets hope next year goes better lol

I have had exactly the same problem with the soil in my pots. A dripper system is not good (for me) because it just goes straight through and does not wet the pot up. I have to water them with the garden hose and a nozzle. I thought I had fried mine on a couple of occasions but they seem to come back. Don't give up on them.

I am not really sure what to do with my Chinook flowers, apparently they can be a bit 'grassy'. They do grow very well though.

they are not to bad for a bit of aroma and in small amounts for bittering.

unless they meant the other kind of grassy

4 Buckets full of my chinook picked over the last few days... :)

Its a 3rd Year plant.

Probably a tad late on the picking this year but was too busy last week with work!

DSCN4199.JPG

DSCN4202.JPG

DSCN4204.JPG

Iv'e got 700g dried off my second year Chinook so far with more drying as I write and more to pick this week.

I cant believe how much this plant puts out! :eek: With really good sized cones and noticable aroma as well.

Cant wait to use them!

cheers,
BB

Harvested an estimated 4.5kg wet weight of Cascades this avo, still more on the bush (6 small rhizomes planted a bit close together) but ran out of flyscreens to put them on. hopefully they will dry in a day or two and I can get the rest sorted. still some that are a bit less mature up there.

used some Chinook and Cascades wet in a mongrel blonde pale ale
ended up putting in (wet weight) 40gm Chinook + 40gm cascades at 60min, 30gm cascades at 30min, 30gm at 15min and 30gm Chinook+30gm Cascades at flameout with a handful into the fermenter for good measure!

I tried checking the moisture by drying 50gm wet in the oven and came out with 8gm dry so possibly makes the volume of hops used less speccy?

IMG_0114.jpg

IMG_0117.jpg

IMG_0118.jpg

I started my harvest on the weekend. Got about 500g wet each from first year Goldings and Cascade. To date I've picked and 750 grams from my second year Chinook plant with heaps more to go. At a guess I'll get 3 to to 5kg wet from the chinook.

I learnt an important lesson though. Plant with plenty of space between plants and watch them like a hawk during growing season for crossover. My Chinook had grown over into my goldings so it took me ages to untangle them. I had to get the secateurs out at times and hope I was cutting the right stuff in the tangle of bines. The last thing I want in a subtly hopped mild or bitter is a whack of chinook!

I really need to get mine in the ground next year. There just isn't enough nutrients in the pots. Haven't got any flowers at all this year (had a few last year).

What's a good separation between plants?

What's a good separation between plants?

I think around 3m+ ideally mate, but mine are only 1.5m apart - just have to keep a close eye on wandering shoots and rhizomes making their way across from plant A to plant B.

Latest posts

Back