2006 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
took a few pics of my shoots today and put up the new wires.
P9050315.JPG
P9050317.JPG
P9050318.JPG

I take it the Jack Russell is a specially trained 'hop dog'? Similar to a truffle dog :p

Nice trellising idea too.

Chatty

Great to see spring has sprung for you guys. My plants still haven't poked themselves above ground yet, and as of this arvo it looks like we are in for a week of rain, so I probably won't see a any action in the next week either.

Doc

Im going to have to do something about stopping Marley (the jack russel) from eating them when it starts growing flowers, he loves parsley and anything else in the garden with flavour.

Im going to have to do something about stopping Marley (the jack russel) from eating them when it starts growing flowers, he loves parsley and anything else in the garden with flavour.

The laterals off the top of the vine have the flowers, which should be safely out of Marleys reach. But if hes a chewer Id fence it off, hops being toxic (fatal, they lose control of their body temp) to dogs.

The laterals off the top of the vine have the flowers, which should be safely out of Marleys reach. But if hes a chewer Id fence it off, hops being toxic (fatal, they lose control of their body temp) to dogs.

Is this a similar process to what happens when you drink a heap of beer on a cold night, get full and then can't feel the cold?

Chatty

TRUE: Our Silky nearly died from Marihuana poisoning. Ate someones stash and was in a real bad way. Luckily the Vet had experienced Marihuana poisoning in dogs before (strangely it happens frequently in some areas of the Sunshine Coast Hinterland). Vet gave him a valium injection, had to up the dose to the point where he had doubled the amount recommended for his weight. It was touch and go, would the Marihuana kill him or the valium. Vet kept him overnight for observation, thankfully he pulled through and we were able to pick him up next day, he was groggy for days.

He was about 8 years old at the time. the experience effected him really badly and he's been weird ever since.

TRUE: Our Silky nearly died from Marihuana poisoning. Ate someones stash and was in a real bad way

Vet gave him a valium injection, had to up the dose to the point where he had doubled the amount recommended for his weight.

the experience effected him really badly and he's been weird ever since.

Poor buggers still high Screwtop,all he needs now is some HB :party:

Batz

Question for the seasoned growers.

My Mt hood came up a week ago although I would'nt say its taken off.

On the other hand My Chinook is showing no signs of appearing and yet its in a slighjtly sunnier position.

How many of you have had a rhizome not come up at all? Next monday will be four weeks since it went in.

ATOMT

Some of us here are acting like expectant fathers :lol: :lol:

Here is a piccy of mine in early September last year.

This plant went on to give me over 2 kilos wet harverst and over 500 gms dry.

Dont panic if not much is happeneing yet. Even mine is only showing about 2 shoots coming out now.

I will be transplanting this plant this weekend so it will be interesting to see how it goes in the new location.

More on that later.

Hops.JPG

My Chinook is going wild and the Goldings is catching up fast in SE Qld.
No photo as I am away from my PC untill Tuesday next week.

I've got 2 emerging shoots on my tettnanger here in the foothills of Adelaide.Bring on the sunshine!

Judging from your photos of your hop plants last year Johnno i would have to say you just have natural green fingers.That was one amazingly wild plant.

Cheers
Big D

Judging from your photos of your hop plants last year Johnno i would have to say you just have natural green fingers.That was one amazingly wild plant.

Cheers
Big D

Well it is going to be a challenge this year big d. Will be transplanting that plant to a new location this weekend.

Going from very fertile soil to a very heavy clay soil that has not been prepped very much at all.
This should have been done a few weeks back but have not ben able to oganise it. And the site needs a good years prep as well i reckon.

I will be doing regular updates here like a lot of others so it will be interesting to see what happens.

I have no doubt they will survive as they are a very hardy plant, but I feel it may take at least a year to get used to the new clay environment.

I have some pics here of the new site but cant locate them currently. will post soon.

cheers
johnno

Not too sure if im a little off topic but here goes anyway Johnno.Assuming you used your hops from last year in a brew or more how did they turn out aroma and flavour wise using fresh grown hops.

Cheers
Big D

Not too sure if im a little off topic but here goes anyway Johnno.Assuming you used your hops from last year in a brew or more how did they turn out aroma and flavour wise using fresh grown hops.

Cheers
Big D

OT, but the resultant beers made with these hops are in these threads.

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...46&hl=anzac

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...grown+hops+beer

PoR used for bittering only but was impressed considering what I had heard about them.
Brewing another Aussie ale this weekend with them.

Both are going to Vicbrew for evaluation. Wish I gave more away before I froze whats left.

cheers
johnno

ATOMT, don't get too stressed with new rhizomes because bud size isn't a real good indication of the potential of the root system. Bare in mind that for the first month or so of the plants life there is very little photosynthetic area and hence it is mainly growing on stored nutrient from the rhizome.

The photos i posted above are from the strongest rhizome i had. The other two rhizomes were quite a fine root stock in comparison and the growth from them reflects this - hence why i posted piccies of my best vine :D .

Chill out,

Chatty

To the question, has anyone had a hop plant not come up! Yes, my Perle rhizome arrived broken in half, so planted both halves. One came up and the other hasn't so far.

My young columbus has not done anything yet, i uncovered the top to have a peak and it only had some tiny white points and thats it.

Screwtop, if it comes up at least you got 2 for the price of one! (yes i know any one can just snap their in half)

OK.....thanks........whew. I was getting a bit nrevous there. :unsure:

Some of us here are acting like expectant fathers :lol: :lol:

Actually I feel exactly like that...........The Mt Hood poked its head out (hooray its a girl) but I am nervous about the Chinook. I hope its OK.

...............Oh yeah. And my wifes going to have a baby in November as well.

At least the rabbit cant eat that one.

:D

ATOMT

Latest posts

Back