2 X Gas Bottle Setup

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Logman

The most interesting man on AHB
Reaction score
I've just got a Nitro setup going :icon_drool2: and am wondering about gear for carbonating. There is a dual regulator on the CO2 bottle at present with one line going to a 4-way splitter inside the keezer - the other line is vacant and it will pre-gas the stout (the pressure is too high on the 4-way).

I'm wondering if (outside the keezer) I can use one of the 2 way John Guest fittings 'backwards' to switch between bottles. Is this possible or are those fittings not suitable for that? Will save heaps of hassle drilling another hole/line in the collar and a vacant gas line floating around in there.

182kxh.jpg

I'm not too sure that would be such a good idea. I am pretty sure I read somewhere that you will need a different regulator to dispense Nitrogen but can't remember the reason why sorry.

Edit: I just re-read your post and looked at the diagram.... it appears that you already have taken another reg into account.... sorry I'll go back in my box. However, at least I bumped your topic. I too would be interested in the outcome. I can't see why it wouldn't work provided you have check valves.

Maybe between the regs to the fitting you could do with an "inline shut off valve" (a tap) just to shut off the line you are not going to use and it may just work.

Would you dispense Nitrogen and CO2 at the same time? If so, would there be a risk that, being at different pressures, one of the two would go up into the other regulator and gas bottle?
I'm ignorant of the specifics, so ignore me if that's either a. obvious or b. just plain wrong. That looks like the main issue looking at your diagram.

Also, if mixing both gases, how will you control the ratio at which they mix? Commercially, they seem to use a specific device to control that ( http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-beer-e...es-aid-119.html )

If you're never opening both bottles at the same time, then should be OK, but probably safer to assume you might accidentally and to check that the consquences of doing so are acceptable.

Another bump on your post at worst ;)

The Stout gets lightly 'pre-charged' with straight CO2 - that gets turned off and it is served with the 70/30 mix, so only one gas bottle is ever running. I'm just trying to save having two gas lines going into the keezer when only one runs at any given time. Also, if there is two lines there will be a spare QD and line floating around in the keezer all the time and there is already 5 in there.

I found a brass 2 way divider and a non return valve in amongst my brew stuff today. The CO2 regulator has a non return inbuilt so the other one can go between the Nitro bottle and the 2 way divider. Assuming there is nothing wrong with the theory of them co-existing on one line it should be good to go. Might wait a few days in case someone says it's a really bad idea :D

Maybe between the regs to the fitting you could do with an "inline shut off valve" (a tap) just to shut off the line you are not going to use and it may just work.

If worst comes to worst that's a pretty good idea. Probably about 50 bux for those better spent on beer though :icon_drunk:

G'day Logman,

Can't see an issue with what you are proposing. I'd pop an inline check (one way) valve on each of the lines before the splitter. This would a) stop gas from flowing from one bottle to another and B) protect both your regulators from liquid/beer backflow.

Cheers,
Justin.

+1 for check valve.
jg connection i can't see why it wouldn't work.

did it work?

I've often thought about buying a "mixer"

Seems to have worked like a charm and it's nice and tidy. As it turned out I had a three way brass fitting and one way check valve already so the check valve is on the 70/30 Nitro bottle, the CO2 reg has one in-built. I'll get a photo of it tomorrow.

It's not that hard but you need two regs., I'm going to knock one out soon.

Thar she blows. You can see the three way thing in the centre of the photo, not the greatest pic but it's a tight squeeze....

11heahj.png

Latest posts

Back