2 days in.....

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
strods said:
Just a quick question guys. The krausen has gone off the top of my brew, is this normal or do i have to start worrying ?

sounds perfectly normal. if you had a nice big Krausen by the 27th then it makes sense that fermentation should be nearly finished now. So the Krausen will being falling back into the beer. So now take a hydrometer reading, it should be down around 1010 or thereabouts. then take one again tomorrow and the day after. if it stays the same over those 3 readings then it is done. Don't be in a rush to bottle the beer, even though primary fermentation is probably about done, the yeast will be be busy eating the by-products of the primary ferment - a process which may improve the flavour of the final beer. give it at least 7 days before you bottle.

manticle said:
Normal. It won't stay forever although some are more persistent than others.

Taking a sample into a hydrometer tube and smelling/tasting at various points is a good way to learn about how a normal fermentation develops and as you get to understand the flavours, is a good indication of whether something is wrong.
ok cool, well i think everything is going ok, got a nice beer smell coming from it. Will be doing a hydrometer test tomorrow evening

Latest posts

Back