1st Attempt Cider

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flummoxed

Reaction score
i've done a basic 20 lt aldi juice + US-05 yeast......nothin else
31/3 - pitched; OG 1046
2/4 - thought it wasn't fermenting- nothin through airlock
4/4- 1030.....but impossible to tell as sample was 'effervescing' and seemed to keep hydrometer afloat
6/4 - 1008?!!.....and has changed colour in last 2 days.......gone from non-cloudy 'specimen' colour to cloudy/opaque???....with no effervescing and hydrometer pert near sinking to bottom

Does this sound anywhere near right?
How low should the FG go?

is the change in colour right?

what's gonna win the 5th at Moonee Valley?

As low as 1000 and possibly lower.

Haven't used 05 in my ciders yet but 1008 certainly doesn't sound out of the ordinary.

No idea about the change in colour but unless it's turned black or fluorescent orange or something I wouldn't worry overly.

Sounds like it will make a good, basic dry cider.

Sounds about right. I made a similar brew a little while ago using:
- 24l beri apple juice
- 1,500g dex, 450g DLM
- Lavlin wine yeast

OG 1068
FG 1002 (11 days primary)
9.1% alc

Mine didn't go cloudy, however this may just be a function of the juice used. I wouldn't worry about the colour, as long as it doesn't really stink I'm sure that it'll be fine.

It was a mistake to add so much dex - as it was my first cider I didn't account for all the sugar inherent in the juice, and as a result I ended up with quite a powerful batch. It is quite nice to taste, very dry, however while really refreshing, it's not possible to drink more than two bottles in a sitting. :icon_drool2:

Latest posts

Back