1800s Cascade Pale Ale recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ASYLUM_SPIRIT

Reaction score
Hi all
I have been informed there is a 1800s Cascade Pale Ale recipe in a book or floating around. Does anyone have it, I'd love to have a crack this weekend.

Thanks in advance

I'll check my copies of Bronzed Brews and 6 O'Clock Brews when I get home (won't be sharing the recipe though, the books are worth buying)

The recipe isn't in 6 O'Clock Brews. I don't have Bronzed Brews. Leave that one to you spOrk. I'm currently drinking the 1953 Coopers Sparkling Ale recipe using cultured Coopers yeast. Very nice and very close to today's Sparkling Ale. I agree, the book is worth buying. There is a 1942 Cascade "Green Label" Sparkling Pale Ale recipe in 6 O'Clock Brews.

there is a 1887 cascade xxxk pale ale in the book bronzed brews

The recipe isn't in 6 O'Clock Brews. I don't have Bronzed Brews. Leave that one to you spOrk. I'm currently drinking the 1953 Coopers Sparkling Ale recipe using cultured Coopers yeast. Very nice and very close to today's Sparkling Ale. I agree, the book is worth buying. There is a 1942 Cascade "Green Label" Sparkling Pale Ale recipe in 6 O'Clock Brews.
Do you have the recipe for the green label by any chance, was hoping to brew in next couple days. Thanks mate

The recipe is in the book. To be fair to the author Peter Symons, who has obviously put in an extreme amount of work to put the book together, and so not to breach any copyright that may apply, I can't reproduce the recipe for you. The book is really worth getting if your interested in "old Australian beers".

The recipe is in the book. To be fair to the author Peter Symons, who has obviously put in an extreme amount of work to put the book together, and so not to breach any copyright that may apply, I can't reproduce the recipe for you. The book is really worth getting if your interested in "old Australian beers".
Thanks, yeah I understand that. I intend on getting the book. I was keen on brewing something "old" over the weekend and wasn't going to be able to get the book. I also wasn't sure if this recipe was exclusively just in the book or available elsewhere.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Mate just pick an Ordinary Bitter recipe, there were vast amounts of this style of beer being brewed all over the country during the early to mid 1800's
Coopers Pale Ale would be among the few survivors, most weren’t as hazy and perhaps a bit more firmly bittered (25-35IBU) with Golding’s or Fuggle, around 5% crystal, late hops would be very restrained if used at all, moderately carbonated.
Still a very enjoyable style of beer
Mark

That being said, the Coopers recipes in 6 O'clock Brews are great
I've done the 1800s Stout and absolutely loved it

Back