1026 British Cask Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colo

Reaction score
Hey All,

Put a brew down Sat morning using this yeast. I was a little surprised when I smacked the pack and left it for about an hour that it didn't swell at all.

So its now been a few days and theres no action in the fermenter, this is my first time using this yeast so I have nothing to compare it to?

Is 1026 a little slow to get going?

What date was on the pack?
Most times, unless the yeast is really fresh, I'd be looking overnight or even a couple of days to swell.

ed: it's only Monday, so 48 hours.
report back Wednesday.

I'm sure it will pick up fairly soon, during the lag period when it's breeding up in there, you won't get signs of krausen.

Nice strain this, IMO at least.

Always test with your hydrometer, never rely on visual when it comes to the ferment state.

OG, mash temperature, batch volume, pitching rate, oxygen?

Love the cask ale yeast, pne of my favourties. I have a simple bitter on tap now using this yeast and have the yeast cake ready for a big IPA to be barrel aged for several months. The bitter (OG 1.036, mash @ 66C) fermented out in 2 days flat and I barely noticed a krausen or airlock action.

She did kick off after a few days and when I say kick off I mean KICK OFF!

Only foamed up for about a day and already the top looks clear. Interesting yeast already I'm impressed, lets see how it tastes. :drinks:

Latest posts

Back