10 Gallon Rubbermaid Coolers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
smashed jaffa said:
Howdy folks,

I have a 10 gallon Rubbermaid cooler and also have the 12" Phalse bottom from G&G. It's a great setup, although I am having trouble hitting my effiency. :angry:

I have done 2 AG's so far and are using Beersmith, and have set the equipment settings at 0.5 litre for losses to mash and 1 litre for losses to trub etc.. effiency set at 65% although I am getting lower than this in reality. I think this is where my problem exists as I am getting less wort than expected into my fermenter than what Beersmith is telling me I should get. Also I end up with a lot less wort after boiling and I have the loss to boil set at 20%!! :huh:

Can anyone tell me what kind of effiency they are getting out of their 10 Gallon rubbermaid, and what settings are they using in Beersmith for this setup? ie; losses in Mash tun, and percentage loss to boil.

Muchos gratsies. :chug:

Broken Aisle Candy.
[post="129261"][/post]​

I also have a Phils12 in a Rubbermaid10. I achieved 90% eff last weekend, but that was with fly sparging, a long protein rest at 53C and a decoction to raise the temp up to 65C. This includes a couple of boil overs and an open tap on the kettle for total losses of about 1L, so I probably did slightly better than 90%.

T.D....Yep I'm a batch sparger as I have only done two AG's so far and would like to get my process down pat before fly sparging.

I think I will put in 1.5 litre for losses in the MT and stick with the losses to boil the same and see if that changes amount of wort going into the kettle, and as you say tweak it until I get it right.

Just thought someone with same setup could shortcut me. :D

Thunderleg.. your Robinson Caruso there with leaving the tap open there fella. Lost about 1 litre of a Munich Helles Lager last weekend racking into my bottling bucket! :angry:

Cheers,

Smashed Jaffa.

Just had a look at the Keep Cold Coolers at Amart Allsports down Rundle Mall, Adelaide - the 36 litre (10 gallon) version on sale for $72.50. I don't know if these guys are in other states, but that sounds like a good price.

Back