Rubbermaid 10 Gallon Coolers On Sale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WitWonder

Reaction score
Final purchase required for my setup was a 10 gallon Rubbermaid cooler. As you all know they are expensive and reasonably hard to find. Well, today was my lucky day as Gibsons & Pattersons here in WA (Oxford St 08 9340 4100) which are the WA distributor for Rubbermaid have them on sale until the end of the month, so I picked one up this morning. They currently have 2 left in stock but I believe more on order. Don't know about shipping etc.

The price? $120.

thanks for the heads up witwonder. bust a false bottom in there and a ball valve, you'll be happy with that purchase!

got my 10 gal rubbermaid s/hand through another brewer on this forum and it's served me well.

Rob.

Ray's Outdoors in Warranmbool have the 40 litre Keep Cold cooler, very similar to the Rubbermaid, for $90 ish. Get 6% off with your discount card.
Cheers
Gerard

The keep cold ones are good (used one for many years) but the tap housing "bump" means you can't use an off the rack false bottom. The 9" jobs work though I think I recall...

Walking through bunnings in Sydney today and saw a round 26+/- litre Rubbermaid esky for $69 and I believe I saw the 36L for $99 in their catalogue. Just letting you know if anyone is in the market for a mash tun.

Mash on! :icon_cheers:

Walking through bunnings in Sydney today and saw a round 26+/- litre Rubbermaid esky for $69 and I believe I saw the 36L for $99 in their catalogue. Just letting you know if anyone is in the market for a mash tun.

Mash on! :icon_cheers:

Is the 26 litre Rubbermaid sufficient for a 5 kilo mash by the time you add the false bottom or is it best to go to the 36 litre one?

I've just been to Bunnings on the northside of Canberra and they have the same Rubbermaid (Original) 26lt insulated cooler for $99. A 12" false bottom would fit perfectly. The cooler is not very high, probably around 16-18" excluding the lid.

Also missed out on 18m coils of 12mm copper pipe for $67... Grrrrrrrrrrrrr

Anyone got a spare (cheap) wort chiller?

Cheers
Carboy :icon_cheers:

the 36 l rubbermaids are in the Adelaide catalogue for $99.87 if anyone is after one

This was my rubbermaid cooler after a years use. They don't like heat and definitely only for cooling.

View attachment 32945

<_<

I freakin' hope not. I am just about to start using one! For the price i paid archeoligists better be digging it up intact and brewing in it in 10,000 years time.

Is the 26 litre Rubbermaid sufficient for a 5 kilo mash by the time you add the false bottom or is it best to go to the 36 litre one?

Not sure it would be cutting close for 5 possible but it limits what you do with the tun IMO. I have a 37L of some other brand and have done a 7 kilo and was almost pouring out during mash out.

Are they actually Rubbermaid brand? Or are you using Rubbermaid like people use Xerox or Hoover?

Yeah they are actual Rubbermaid coolers.

I got one of the 26L jobbies from Bunnings last week. While I was there, I got some braid and a T piece from the micro irrigation section, and two hose clamps. Replaced the tap and put it all together. Took about ten minutes to convert it from a cooler to a mash tun. Mashed a Roggenbier this morning. I only used 3 kg of grain, and there was plenty of room left. 16 L into the fermenter. You could definitely do 4 kg, but I dont know about 5. Might fit with a thick mash. The tun dropped 2 degreeds in an hour, so thats fine by me. I have some expanding foam, so might fill the lid, and improve the thermal loss.

Hi beernut,

is that an actual Rubbermaid brand cooler?, I was gonna get one but maybe I'll get a techno ice after seeing that
Yes it was a rubbermaid that I bought in the States as well as the falsie and rest of the gear

View attachment 32952

It was fine for the first twenty or so mashes then I started to get trouble at the outlet around the tap as the inner wall started cracking. and as you can see I reinforced it with a stainless steel plate. It was ok for a while then when I was cleaning it out one day after a brew day holy shit a great crack as per photo with no warning.
However all was not lost as I went all stainless and the lid fitted perfect, sorry about the brew assistant getting in the way,

View attachment 32953

but you get the picture. I wrote a post last May whether rubbermaids were up to the job and quite frankly I think not unless you are looking for a short term solution.

PS: I still use it but only as a cooler as it doesn't mind ice :)

:icon_cheers:

How do you clean/prep your mash tun?

I am very careful with mine to do things slowly. I heat the mash water from within the tun - slowly up to mash temp.

Once the sparge is complete I just put the lid on and leave it for at least 24 hours. This allows the mash to cool very slowly.

What will cause plastic to crack is sudden changes in temp. If its cold and you dump 70 degree water in it this will cause the plastic to become brittle (over time) and crack.

After the sparge is done, if you dump the grain and flush with cold water this will also exacerbate the brittle affect.

I have known people to do 100's of brews in these coolers.

Just a thought.

Cheers.

How do you clean/prep your mash tun?

I am very careful with mine to do things slowly. I heat the mash water from within the tun - slowly up to mash temp.

Once the sparge is complete I just put the lid on and leave it for at least 24 hours. This allows the mash to cool very slowly.

What will cause plastic to crack is sudden changes in temp. If its cold and you dump 70 degree water in it this will cause the plastic to become brittle (over time) and crack.

After the sparge is done, if you dump the grain and flush with cold water this will also exacerbate the brittle affect.

I have known people to do 100's of brews in these coolers.

Just a thought.

Cheers.

I'm one of those brewers who has done 100's of brews in mine, and I tip hot water straight in, flush with cold when it's still hot and it's still like the day I bought it. ( Had it for 8 years now )

Batz

second this batz. mine is still going strong

second this batz. mine is still going strong

Thirded :) Though have recently bought and modded a 71L ss vessel to use as a mashtun for larger batches - the gatorade cooler is still going strong.

Latest posts

Back