1/2" Camlock Fittings Bulk Buy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Righto, here are some photos of the fitting ends, sorry about the quality - done with iphone and resized.

This is a comparison against the HD silicon hose from GB (approx 20-21mm od)
HD_compare.JPG

This is next to the standard hose (approx 16mm od)
STD_compare.JPG

Standard hose next to the modified fitting
STD_modded_fitting.JPG

Hoses with the barbs on them - it is harder to get the fittings off than what it is to get on. Plenty of keg lube needed!
on_hose.JPG

I am happy enough to keep mine with the hd hose, but the std hose is going to be a pain.

Hey All.
Here is the so called work around. The suppliers are happy to swap over the barbed camlocks for a "male hosebarb and Female-camlock/female-BSP fitting" or "male hosebarb and male-camlock/female-BSP fitting"
Like I said in the last post, I am happy with the fittings they supplied when used with the HD hose, they will also be less restrictive - pretty much full bore.

Let me know what you want to do.

I'll need to get the old camlocks back that have been sent and a count of who needs what.

Camlocks.JPG
Cheers,
Hammo.

Hey All.
Here is the so called work around. The suppliers are happy to swap over the barbed camlocks for a "male hosebarb and Female-camlock/female-BSP fitting" or "male hosebarb and male-camlock/female-BSP fitting"
Like I said in the last post, I am happy with the fittings they supplied when used with the HD hose, they will also be less restrictive - pretty much full bore.

Let me know what you want to do.

I'll need to get the old camlocks back that have been sent and a count of who needs what.

View attachment 54094
Cheers,
Hammo.

what ever gets me my '1/2 inch' cam locks with my pick up address

Hammo,
she'll be right, i've got the HD silicone hose so i'll just keep mine and work with it.
Cheers.

to start. thanks hammo7 for the purchase i understand that a bulk buy can be a lot of work,
so thanks. your time and effort is appreciated.

If they are compatible with the ones beerbelly sells then I'll definitely be in for a few to Brisbane.

FWI, they are not the same size as the fittings BB sell. these are proper 1/2 inch size. i think the
BB ones are are maybe 3/8 cam to 1/2 BSB. so i think BB might have the wrong description.

camlockc.jpg

let us know when you do another order hammo7 and i will buy again.
thanks.

My snaplocks are the same size as the beer belly ones by the look of it, no way will they fit. Tossing up whether to get more of these or more snaps and try to sell these ones. Don't want half and half. Thanks for organising the buy hammo, i knew that they may not be compatable . you win some and lose some.
cheers
sean

FWI, they are not the same size as the fittings BB sell. these are proper 1/2 inch size. i think the
BB ones are are maybe 3/8 cam to 1/2 BSB. so i think BB might have the wrong description.

View attachment 54261
It's hard to tell exactly from the picture, but I'd guess mine (purchased from USA) look most like the ones on the right, I assume the ones from the BB are the ones on the left?

Thanks 2m2s - I think you are right. I really didn't realise how restrictive the BB ones were until I started using them and figured there wasn't any other option.

It's hard to tell exactly from the picture, but I'd guess mine (purchased from USA) look most like the ones on the right, I assume the ones from the BB are the ones on the left?
No, the BB ones are the ones on the right.

-EDIT- I should say the BeerBelly ones are on the right incase you mean Bulk Buy by BB...

2much2spend: No problems. Thanks for the update.
Both of the camlock types are 1/2", but I only just found out that the ones from beerbelly (usa) go by the hose size that you connect them to and the ones in the bulk buy (I think they come from China which I am a little miffed about cause I was under the impression that they were local) go by the fitting size - 1/2"BSP.
In short - BeerBelly ones if you want flow restricted camlocks, Bulk Buy ones if you want full flow and have (or are getting HD silicon hose).

Seamad: If you want to send them back to me, or hang on to them, I will let you know when some one else wants them, this also goes for whoever wants to offload theirs that are not compatible.

Wolfy: You are spot on mate.

As I have said before, I am stoked with these camlocks, once I used them. Especially from the HLT to the MLT when doing big batches, there is no flow restriction.
I can easily get more, there will be a couple left over from ppl who are unable to use them, and I'm sure there will be some interest in beer belly camlocks if you are wanting to swap them over.

Thanks all for your patience on this.

PS I am still waiting for replacement fittings from the supplier, so those still waiting for your cam locks, I apologize..

Hammo, I'm pretty convinced I would like to convert my setup over to these full-bore ones. My only concern would be if the supply ran out and I couldn't get compatible ones - what are the chances?

Anyway, I currently have approximately these in BeerBelly ones:

7ish 1/2" Female Cam -> barb
6ish 1/2" Male Cam -> Male BSP
6ish 1/2" Male Cam -> Female BSP
2 1/2" Female Cam -> Female BSP

Just rough numbers but I would be looking to replace all of them so mine would be coming up for grabs shortly after me getting the new ones. I don't think I will do a straight swap as it's fairly likely it would take me a few weeks to get my act into gear and do the swap and it would be a disaster if I couldn't brew in between...

I will come up with my total requirements tonight or whenever and we can go from there.

Actually... any chance of just getting a couple of fittings now to see how I go fitting them? (I have CB's HD hose which looks to be the same as Gryphon's)

The only restrictive part on the smaller camlocks are if you buy the fittings with the cast in hosetail. Better option is get the type B female fittings and use a 90degree M/F elbow like is explained here:

This gives you full bore flow and the 90degree bend out of the fitting is way better. Just a warning, this bloke can waffle on a bit!

Last edited by a moderator:
The only restrictive part on the smaller camlocks are if you buy the fittings with the cast in hosetail. Better option is get the type B female fittings and use a 90degree M/F elbow like is explained here:

This gives you full bore flow and the 90degree bend out of the fitting is way better. Just a warning, this bloke can waffle on a bit!

Cheers Frothie - I never would have though of that. I have actually made a few 90 deg bends with a female cam -> elbow -> male cam but this would alleviate that.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah forgot, the beerbelly ones are the smaller ones on the right.
my little gripe is that beer belly sell these as
"1/2" Female Camlock to Hosetail" so you can see the misunderstanding.

Both of the camlock types are 1/2", but I only just found out that the ones from beerbelly (usa) go by the hose size that you connect them to and the ones in the bulk buy (I think they come from China which I am a little miffed about cause I was under the impression that they were local) go by the fitting size - 1/2"BSP.
In short - BeerBelly ones if you want flow restricted camlocks, Bulk Buy ones if you want full flow and have (or are getting HD silicon hose).

Seamad: If you want to send them back to me, or hang on to them, I will let you know when some one else wants them, this also goes for whoever wants to offload theirs that are not compatible.

Wolfy: You are spot on mate.

As I have said before, I am stoked with these camlocks, once I used them. Especially from the HLT to the MLT when doing big batches, there is no flow restriction.
I can easily get more, there will be a couple left over from ppl who are unable to use them, and I'm sure there will be some interest in beer belly camlocks if you are wanting to swap them over.
Actually, mine ('Snaplock' brand, from the USA, look just like the BeerBelly ones in the above photo) are designed to and fit on 1/2 inch threaded fittings, so I assume they both go by the thread-size. However clearly the ones from the Bulk Buy have a much less restrictive hose-barb, so it's unfortunate they are not compatible with the other ones.

For those who decide to keep the fittings from the Bulk Buy, and sell their 'Snaplock' (BeerBelly) type ones - let me know as just a few more would be helpful here. ;)

Parks, are your bb fittings compatable with snaplocks?

If so would you be interested in trading some with the ones from the bulk buy?

Cheers
sean

Parks, are your bb fittings compatable with snaplocks?

If so would you be interested in trading some with the ones from the bulk buy?

Cheers
sean
Now that I have realised that I can get the female cam to male BSP then get a male to female BSP elbow I think I might do that. I doubt I will get anything done anything too soon but I will offer the barbed ones up here once I have.

I'm not sure on compatibility, but they look exactly like the barbed fittings on the right in the photo earlier.

Latest posts

Back