0 Min Hop Additions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juzz1981

Reaction score
Not sure if this is mentioned anywhere but i did my first AG last night, I was doing a JSGA clone and was wondering if i did the 0 min hop addition correctly.
I used a hop bag for the other additions but just threw the hops straight in at 0 min into the kettele,

this sound ok?

spot on & congrats.... :icon_chickcheers:

Cheers Ross

As in at the end of the boil?

Fine. I don't use a hop bag ever (or a hop screen). What gets into the cube/fermenter (most is left behind in the kettle) settles out during ferment and conditioning.

as said fine. with/without hop bags doesn't seem to matter. like manticle I just chuck all my hops straight in, never had any floaties in a beer yet.

I think it would depend if you no-chill or not?

QldKev

I no chill but I rack the beer out of the brewpot with a tube and racking cane, never end up with any debris in the cube.

I think Kev means in terms of the timing - whether 0 minutes actually means 15-20 minutes when no-chilling.

ah well im no chilling, so maybe it will end up a little bitter? :(
did taste a tad bitter for a JSGA but i guess i will have to wait post ferment.

My experience of no chilling suggests that basic hop additions (60/20/0) won't make your brew over bitter. You may lose some aroma - in which case hope the cube and/or dry hop.

The only time I would worry overly is if doing loads of late additions, hopbursting or making a 10 minute IPA (in which case I would chill). Brews often taste bitter pre-ferment - nothing to worry about.

Latest posts

Back