Zwyiec 1881 Porter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mje1980

Old Thunder brewery
Reaction score
Just finished this not long ago. I didn't realise it was 9.5% til i sniffed it and thought " Hmmmmm''!!!.

Great beer, not something i drink often ( big beers ) , but very nice.

Is this the baltic porter? I'm a fan except for the fact that some of the bottles at my local have a strong metallic flavour. When that's absent, this is a lovely beer.

I just grabbed it the other day. This arvo i had a tetley's, then a white rabbit dark ale, then i grabbed it. I smellt it and thought, "hang on this smells serious!" i could only find " Alk 9.5% " in regards to the alcohol content, though my polish isn't great haha. Certainly had soem alcohol warming, but soooo smooth. Great beer. Wish i'd got a few, but im looking after the kids tonight while my wife is at work so probably a good thing!!.

From a quick look, it seems to say "traditional recipe" and has 1881 all over it. There is a set of keys in a circle with a red line through them, ie, don't drive after this beer haha.

There is no mention of "baltic" but it might be it.

Cheers

My wife's mother is russian, and i may be able to get a better interpretation in the next few days.

I grabbed a bottle of this as being a Polish beer( I think!) I thoiught it would more than likely be an example of a baltic porter.

Also didn't realise it was almost 10% until the first mouthful!

Not bad, but I also couldn't drink many of these. Was amazed it was under $5 for a 10% beer.

Kev

It is 3rd on BJCP's example list for Baltic porters.

I agree with all said. Stellar value at $25 for a 6 pack, oodles of aroma, flavour and warm, fuzzy booziness.

I have tasted good copies, and it has been really smooth and luscious. I have recently tasted a bad 6 pack (WA DM's) and it definitely had the metallic taste, also what I perceived to be a much thinner mouthfeel, and perhaps because of all this, the alcohol seemed harsh as well.

ED: I also recently was informed how to pronounce the brewery name (at least better than I was). This confirms it as acceptable.

I find the BJCP iphone app pretty handy when I spot something new at a bottle shop.

Easy to look up the descriptions and see if something is considered reasonable - as was the case here.

I proabably look like a knob tapping away on my phone while looking at beer though.

Kev

Back