Zuccini

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glot

Reaction score
Pickled Zuccini or cucumber.
1kg zucchini
2 small white onions
1/4 cup salt
2 cup white vinegar
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons mustard seed
1 teaspoon celery seed
1 teaspoon turmeric.

Slice zucchini and onions thinly.
Cover with salt and water and stand for 2 hours.
Drain well.
Boil remainder of ingredients and pour over vegetables.
Stand for two hours.(the mix. You can sit)
Boil for 5 minutes.
Bottle.

Both Zuccuni and cucumber are summer fruits so then is the time to get them cheap at the markets.

This is great...every year I plant ONE zucchini plant and get literally dozens of fruit off it...I reckn I got over 30 Zucc's from one plant last year! I just planted TWO on the weekend. Now I wont have to feed half to the chooks!

also good for grating into fritters, bolognese and making zucchini cake!!

We peel them into ribbons with a veggie peeler then toss in seasoned flour and deep fry for yummy zucchini fritters. Works especially good for the flowers if you're growing!

I am a big fan of zucchini. I find they are most delicious when sliced lengthways into thirds, or if using especially thick zucchinis, into quarters, and roasted in the oven with an oil baste of chilli flakes, paprika, garlic and salt. Prepared in this fashion zucchini goes excellently in long rolls (i.e. with sausages, hot dog-style), on pizza, or simply eaten with lebanese bread, a chunk of haloumi cheese and a pint of your favourite strong ale.

nice timing - I have heaps atm and my kitchen is (mostly) out of action. Just need the wife to go out for the day....

Try roasting them whole they get the most awesome texture inside. Just rub a bit of oil on and pop them in the oven. White zucchini are extraordinary this way!

Back on topic.

Planting a few zucchini plants again this year, had heaps go to waste last time. Will use one of these recipes for the excess.

Cheers

Ducatiboy stu said:
Ok..so what is the best soil and fertilizer for Zuchs...
Was told by the local plant shop guy that I needed to have pollination friendly plants around the zucchinis, otherwise there will be a lot of flowers that do not progress.

We tend to pollinate by hand. Easy to do as the zucch plants are near our front door so we pass them each day, but just take a male flower, de-petal it and wipe it around inside the female flowers. Sounds a bit perverse, but it works.

Kaiser Soze said:
We tend to pollinate by hand. Easy to do as the zucch plants are near our front door so we pass them each day, but just take a male flower, de-petal it and wipe it around inside the female flowers. Sounds a bit perverse, but it works.
That was the other bit of advice he gave, did not have to last year.

Kaiser Soze said:
You sick, twisted flower fucker.

Just. Couldn't. Resist. The pull of the obvious.

Kaiser Soze said:
Whatever yanks your crank...

Actually I do the same with my pumpkins and melons (just waiting for the single entendres....).

Kaiser Soze said:
I was watching a video on YouTube of a guy who just runs around with a small paint brush and collects pollen, then opens the female and wipes it on the sticky crap..

I guess it's more like IVF than rape.. Your method seems more laid back though haha

Airgead said:
(just waiting for the single entendres....).
Or perhaps a suggestive photograph of them including a zucchini?

Is it getting hot in here or am I just vegan?

Back