Your Best Beer For The Year

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I liked al my big partial mash beers this year but my particular favourite was the brown ale that had amber malt as one of the ingredients.

cheers

Me rauch beer 1st in sabsossa and a bronze in the nationals and i think me czech pils is good too

Hi brewingtons,
My big favourite is judged by the size of my grin while i was drinking it. :D
My How Now American Brown Cow Ale! had me grining from ear to ear just being in the same room as it. B)
The demon ale had me on my knees begging for butter milk! Iam not sure if thats the right expression but it was awesome, still the how now gets the vote for best this year.
Recipes are in the data base along with a few other of my best ever recipes.

Jayse

Ray, if that was the BP that you had at the last IBU, it was awesome!

My favourite brew (who's recipe I actually recorded in ProMash) was this porter:

Batch Size (L): 25.00
OG: 1.054
FG: 1.013
SRM: 32.3
IBU: 28.1

1.90 kg. DME - Light
1.00 kg. Munich
1.00 kg. JW Trad Pale Ale Malt
0.30 kg. Chocolate Malt 350SRM
0.20 kg. Crystal 80L 80SRM
0.10 kg. Black Malt 600SRM
0.10 kg. Munich Malt(dark) 30SRM
0.10 kg. Roasted Barley 575SRM
20.00 g. PoR flowers 10%AA 60 min.
15.00 g. E.K.G Pellet 4.75%AA 30 min.
DCL - S04

I'll drop the Roast Barley next time I brew this and use WLP023 Burton Ale.

It is a bit strange that a lot of our best beers were part mash's. And once again my best by far, and maybe the best beer i have ever had was the OLD SAXON BOCK from the Grumpy's web site. I used Vienna instead of Munich but it turned out so good, and at about 8% it really packs a punch.

Neonmate - I went to buy Goldings and was told that only UK Goldings was available - now I know why - we must've exported all our own to Oz !

Interested in the Brakspear clone though - not that I've ever sampled their beer, but thought as I liked the W1275 I should try a clone someday.

Only recipe I'd seen was Tony Lines for the Special which included flaked maize and molasses - anymore details on the recipe appreciated - OG, IBU ?

D'oh just re-read your post - see it's included.
I'm adding this to the New Year brew list. I haven't had good results with with lower OG brews, always seem to be lacking something so I'm looking forward to trying this

Jaytees best beer for 2005 ?

Must have been my second extract brew, only just understood what I was doing, seemed to take forever on the day and after two very (im)patient weeks in the bottle it was better than the first batch.

It was the Riggers ESB from Grain & Grape with Roast Barley subst'd for the Roast malt because that's what I had at the time

jaytee said:
Neonmate - I went to buy Goldings and was told that only UK Goldings was available - now I know why - we must've exported all our own to Oz !
hey jaytee, good luck with your bitter, it's always nice to have a good swilling bitter round the house. my recipe is on the dry and hoppy side for a bitter, i don't like em too sweet and crystally.

NZ Goldings are quite nice, like ordinary goldings but with a bit more citric flavour. I went through a phase of getting into NZ hops after tasting Pink Elephant, Galbraiths etc on my trip to NZ last year - there are some damn hoppy beers over there!

The more I hear the more I like the sound of it - might even get it done before Christmas !

Latest posts

Back