Your Beer Travels

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Screwtop

Inspectors Pocket Brewery
Reaction score
Bro in law sold up his businesses and left for the UK and Europe for 3 months (poor bugger). He promised he would tease me with details of visits to breweries during his travels and has just called from Toddington (UK) where he's staying with friends of the best kind (they stock 120 beers in their pub, mostly Belgians). Well, in the morning they are off to Belgium, where his friend Bob will take them on a brewery tour, first up Westvleteren, the mongrel. Still he's promised to return bearing gifts, so I'll probably forgive him.

Plan on following in his footsteps next year and we're looking forward to it. Thought others might like to share their brewery visit stories or those of friends/family.

Will report back after he checks in next.

first off, i dont know your bro-in-law, but he sounds like a jerk and i hope he has a terrible time ;)

that aside, it sounds like something i wouldnt mind doing someday. however the only way i see it happening is shortly after the lottery authorities call me to say they want to hand over a very large check.
a cousin of mine has spent some time in england so backpacking around for a month or two visiting pubs and breweries sounds like something we might enjoy.

best beer travels i have taken part in is heading down to san diego when visiting family in california. so more of a side track than the actual destination. still fun though.
joe

I'm always interested in these sort of tours. Mine was an absolute blast. I am already yearning for those days to return.

Keep us posted on your BIL's travels, Screwtop...

WJ

Oh yeah, brewery visits?

Bamberg is the beer capital of Germany. 10 breweries in the city and more than 100 in the region of Franconia.

All Pilsner fans must visit Pilsner Urquell in Plzen, Czech Republic and some of the other breweries in that country.

Munich is the place for traditional Bavarian beers and culture. Don't miss the Hofbrauhaus.

Go to Cologne and drink Klsch from Peter's Brewery. Try to get to Kirschenbroich and the Bolton Brewery for the best of Altbier.

Einbeck, near Braunschweig, is the origin of the bock style and the Einbecker brewery is the place to go and visit their cellar.

Just a few in Germany, but some to get started...

WJ

I miss our beer trips in Europe. I was fortunate to attend a few Ratebeer gatherings and meetings whilst over there, as well as tour many breweries and bars in Belgium (Antwerp, Brugge, Brussels, Buggenhout, St Niklaas), Denmark (Copenhagen), France (Paris), Germany (Bamberg, Hamberg, Nurnberg), Italy (Rome) and all over the UK. I think my favourite beer trip though was in the US, starting in New York, then heading to Dallas, Seattle, Portland, Solana Beach (San Diego), St Louis Obispo, Santa Rosa, San Francisco and LA.

Oh yeah, brewery visits?

Bamberg is the beer capital of Germany. 10 breweries in the city and more than 100 in the region of Franconia.

All Pilsner fans must visit Plsen in Czech Republic and many other breweries in that country.

Munich is the place for traditional Bavarian beers and culture.

Go to Cologne and drink Klsch from Peter's Brewery. Try to get to Kirschenbroich and the Bolton Brewery for the best of Altbier.

Einbeck, near Braunschweig, is the origin of the bock style and the Einbecker brewery is the place to go and visit their cellar.

Just a few in Germany, but some to get started...

WJ
Hi Whistlingjack,

Boozy the Clown is going to visit our place here in Homburg very soon. Hell come over from Scotland where hes staying at the moment. Maybe I will ask you for advice where to go around here in Germany to show him interesting beer related places (of course it will be for my own pleasure as well) ;)

For return I can give you some hints if you ever wanna travel around South and East Australia ;)

Its a very sad time in Europe at the moment, the only place where the sun is shining is inside pubs and beer halls.

Cheers mates :icon_cheers:

Sure, Zwickel...

Boozy is a lucky man to be visiting Germany at this time of year... :D

You know some good places, most of the ones I know are a long way from you. Long distance travel in Germany, as you know, is not pleasant in winter.

The best, I would say, is to visit Mnchen and the surrounding area, taking in some of the Klster brauerei there (Andechs, Weihenstephan, Augustiner, to name a few)

If you can, try to get to Dachsbrau. The best weizenbock I ever had came from there, but I didn't get a chance to visit. Met one of the brewers in Berlin.

WJ

Was in Europe over summer.

Visited Das Bier Museum in Koeln. About a 5 minute walk from The Dom. Remember little of that night (good one). Spent the next night in Bruges in Belgium. Severly hungover, and could only stomach one beer before falling asleep (major dissapointment!)

Visited Hofbrauhaus and a couple of other small pubs. Hofbrauhaus was pretty cool, but a couple really stick in my mind.

In Innsbruck in Austria, Nordpark. They have a cafe/bar that is at 1500m and overlooks the city from about 1km above. The view is absolutely stunning, and despite being about -7C I sat outside and had a Stiegl.

It__s_all_about_the_beer___i.jpg

But my favourite would have been the Augustiner Kloster Brauhaus in Salzburg. It was a magical place...

You pay this lady for your beer(s). (Note: see the large barrel in the back ground):
salzburg_5.jpg

You collect a krug from this shelf:
salzburg_6.jpg

You rinse your stein in this fountain, and then take it to the monk in the first picture, and he pours it straight from the barrel.
salzburg_4.jpg

And then you drink it here:
augustiner_1.jpg

Apparently they have an awesome beer garden also, but I went at night, and didn't see.

Best of all, it's about 6 euro for a masskrug of beer (which is 1L) AND you can buy the krugs themselves for about 5 euro. :D

Sorry about all the pics... :D

Mate, there aint never enough pics, beautiful, pics can say much more than any words.

:icon_cheers:
I agree. The pics are great. I remember that beer garden well from my backpacking holiday thru Europe. Great times indeed, always a new beer to enjoy.

Not a brewery, but,
Theres this place in Fussen at the foot of the Bavarian Alps:
B001.jpg

Where you can sip away on one of these... a Knig Ludwig Dunkel - probably the best beer I've ever had.
B003.jpg

While looking up at this view.
B002.jpg

Edit: Spellang

Or, 30mins out of Munich there's Aying:
A100.jpg

Where you can visit:
A201.jpgA202.jpg
A203.jpg

And sip one of these: (Ayinger Celebrator)
A300.jpg

Which comes from here: (New brewery, a short walk. Old brewery in 1st pic)
A400.jpgA401.jpg

Where it's made in one of these:
A500.jpg

Also visited Paulaner, Lowenbrau, Hofbrauhaus, Hacker and Augustiner
Some found accidentaly (followed my nose!)
Too many photo's to post.

Back