Young's Brewing Sugar

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

floydmeddler

Reaction score
Hello all... I've been using Young's Brewing Sugar and nowhere on the packet does it state what kind of sugar it is. Does anyone know whether or not it is dextrose?

Thanks

Floyd.

Searching the web, theres very little info on this.... :huh: Youngs dont even appear to have this product listed on their website (at least I couldn't find it)
The best I can come up with is supposition, not a definitive answer....I found an ad for Youngs, which claims
Brewing sugar ferments easier, increases yeild and gives a cleaner flavour than household sugar

Now, dextrose ferments easier, has higher yield, and gives a cleaner flavour than houshould sugar, so this statement would logicaly lead you to believe that Youngs is dextrose. However, this is not necessarily the case, it may be a blend of dex/sucrose or god knows what else.

I suppose at the end of the day, it comes down to a question of does it give you good results and no off flavours?

Hello all... I've been using Young's Brewing Sugar and nowhere on the packet does it state what kind of sugar it is. Does anyone know whether or not it is dextrose?

Thanks

Floyd.

Dunno! And as Butters said, where is the info on it....

So I guess the question is; Are you happy with the results? If so continue using it. If not by another product!

Dex and Malt.. maybe that is the answer...

Anyway, I hope this helps and happy brewing!!!

Hmm... I suppose. I really dislike the idea of using sucrose when brewing though. One of the main reasons why I'm asking is because I need to know what amount to use when bulk priming my bottles. I'm brewing 23 litres.

Cheers!

Hmm... I suppose. I really dislike the idea of using sucrose when brewing though.
Cheers!

In the immortal words of Bert Newton: I like the boy :lol:

As far as the priming, though, (and as much as I detest sucrose, even if only in the prime), in real terms for 2.5vol CO2, the difference between dextrose and sucrose only amounts to 0.3g/L in the prime according to this calculator. link
In real terms, this only equates to 0.1volume of co2 difference between the two, either way. Hardly worth the consideration for such a small difference.

Personally, I would say swap to a different product, which has known ingredients (or make your own blends). But if you're happy with the flavour and results of the Youngs, don't stress overly much on it, continue using it.

Emailed Young's to ask them and they replied:

"Youngs brewing Sugar is Dextrose Monohydrate."

The answer at last!

Glad you posted, I hate an unanswered question. :lol:

Know what you mean...

I used 180g of it for a 22 litre batch. Hope it's enough!! Will be very upset if it isn't!

what, 180g on its own? as in 1 tin of goo and 180g brewing sugar?

note to self: do not post when drunk. :rolleyes:

180g for priming 23L will be more than enough....if it was fermented at 20C, that will give 2.9vol co2. Pretty fizzy.

Latest posts

Back