Yorkshire Puddings Direct From Yorkshire

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
As a Yorkshireman I've always prided myself on being a killer Yorkshire Pudding baker. However Woolies have, currently, a UK section with such goodies as Penguin Biscuits, Birds Custard Powder and other nostalgia. I picked up a pack of Goldenfry Yorkshire Pudding mix and :icon_drool2: :icon_drool2: :icon_drool2: :icon_drool2:

Sorry can't post a piccie as we devoured them like a shoal of starved piranhas.

Get some before they are gone. Cooked mine in duck fat. They are truly the Thomas Fawcett of pudding mix.

As a Yorkshireman I've always prided myself on being a killer Yorkshire Pudding baker. However Woolies have, currently, a UK section with such goodies as Penguin Biscuits, Birds Custard Powder and other nostalgia. I picked up a pack of Goldenfry Yorkshire Pudding mix and :icon_drool2: :icon_drool2: :icon_drool2: :icon_drool2:

Get some before they are gone. Cooked mine in duck fat. They are truly the Thomas Fawcett of pudding mix.

Nothing beats a good yorkshire pud with gravy hey Bribie. I'll be looking for some of that mix for sure.

Went back and bought two more boxes of Yorkshire Pudding mix, and also scored a tin of Branston Baked Beans, a jar of Colmans Mustard and some Batchelor's chip shop style mushy peas :icon_drool2: They also have a fair range of lollies such as Double Decker bars, Penguin Biscuits and also WeetAbix and Alpen cereals - Ambrosia creamed rice - etc etc.

Now with Woolies there are two grades of store, "minor" and "major". A lot of the older ones are minors, check and see if there's a major in the area, they carry the full range. For example Bribie used to be a minor and had maybe three types of bacon 1 kilo. They expanded to a major and now five types, if you get my drift. Same across the range.

Damn been in Woolies today and forgot about looking.

Talking of Brit stuff cannot beat a ploughmans with Branston Pickle yum.

Hey they've got Piccalilli as well. The sandwich spread that God eats.

If you can't get the mix here is a sure fire recipe.

1 cup plain flour
pinch salt
pepper to taste
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1 tablespoon water
3 tablespoons oil (vegetable is better as it gets hotter than olive)

1. Sift the flour and the salt together into a bowl. Make a well in the centre. Drop in the eggs. Gradually beat in sufficient milk to make a stiff but smooth batter, making sure there are no lumps. Gradually beat in the remaining milk. Strain into a jug. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Stir in the water.

2. Spoon 1/4 teaspoon of the oil into the base of each of 12 deep metal muffin pans. Place in a hot oven (200 C) for 3 to 5 mins to heat the fat. Carefully fill each muffin pan two-thirds full with batter.

3. Cook in a very hot oven (220 C) for 15-20 mins or until risen, golden and crisp. Serve at once.

HD

I have heard of these and seen them on TV but have never tried one. Just curious as to what you would eat with it?.... are they a snack on their own or as a side with a main?.... would you put any sauces etc with it?

Sorry for the dumb questions but I might even give it a go considering they are supposed to be :icon_drool2:

Traditionally eaten with a roast beef. And traditionally made with the beef dripping instead of vegie oil. Served with the roast beef and the gravy. Yum.

Cheers
Dave

Thanks, I might give one a go on the weekend.
Sunday roast with Yorkshire Pudding, just to see what all the fuss is over a bit of flour, eggs and milk/water.

Given there is only plain flour in the recipe I assume they don't really rise much.

Thanks, I might give one a go on the weekend.
Sunday roast with Yorkshire Pudding, just to see what all the fuss is over a bit of flour, eggs and milk/water.

Given there is only plain flour in the recipe I assume they don't really rise much.

I find my puds don'd rise as much as I would like

I find my puds don'd rise as much as I would like

What about trying a 50:50 plain flour:self raising flour mix if you would like it to rise a bit more?

I'll try the recipe Howlingdog posted and if it needs to rise a little more I'll just swap out some of the flour

Traditionally eaten with a roast beef. And traditionally made with the beef dripping instead of vegie oil. Served with the roast beef and the gravy. Yum.

Cheers
Dave

Some vegetarians in the family hence the veg oil and cooked separately.

HD

Some vegetarians in the family hence the veg oil and cooked separately.

HD

Pity that having veggies you get so much better taste with beef dripping.

Not sure the purists would go for self raising flour but never mind. You need a nice even heat in the oven to get them to rise properly no expert but a fan assisted oven should do a good job.

They've got the Mushy Peas tins at the local IGA. A couple of questions, what do they taste like, and what the hell's the difference between 'Original' and 'Chip Shop'?

Bribie, I discovered today it is actually Coles that have this stuff not woolies. Bought some yorkshire pud mix, gravy and mustard pickles.

Latest posts

Back