Yoour Bottle Of Choice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i only bottle brett and sour beers so only use belgian bottles. i recently bought a tirage bell so will also be using champagne bottles from now on.

I use plastic bottles for one simple reason....I'm a bit of a kluts and will most likely at some stage knock over a bottle which will start a domino effect. I did that once with glass bottles and the aftermath was smashed glass everywhere :wacko:

I'm a fan of glass bottles, crown seal ones, I'm trying to phase twist top bottles out of my collection. Mostly like to bottle in mixed batches, Longnecks, 500's and 375's.

Only shame of it is all my 375's are Bundaberg Ginger Beer bottles... which make me think of VB :icon_vomit: . but they are brown glass crown seals so can't complain too much!

Brewnut said:
A bit of shameless self promotion but I like my 2 litre swing top growlers for bottling in.
I normally keg and then put the leftover amounts into the growlers so they are easily transported to BBQ and parties.
Here is a pic i have been trying to post. These make bottling day a breeze with way less hassles for washing and capping. There are other screw top ones around also. Essentially any large bottles will make your bottling day easier though.

gallery_17531_929_55869.jpg

I like PET bottles for the simplicity. Reusable tops and easy to carry around. They may oxidise after a few months, but my beer never lasts that long. :chug:

In Nu Zeelund the swappa crates (12x 750ml) are still in enough demand that we homebrewers can go in and pick them up for $5 (albeit full of spit/dregs/smokes and mould) leave them in the bathtub at 1 million degrees (actual temp may differ) with napisan to clean the buggers out.
As long as there are bars in South/West Auckland, there will always be swappa crates. :lol:

You can buy brand new stubbies from a "Brew on Premises" place like UBrewIT I assume. Back when I did some brews there it was $50 for 6 slabs of stubbies....which of course you could bring back next time so you didn't have to pay again.

The UBrewIT ones are very thin/light, 345ml stubbies Anyone know of other places to buy empty stubbies? Rounding up used ones from mates is easy enough, but they're rarely cleaned, and cleaning dirty stubbies is a bitch.

I picked up 3 doz crown seal stubbies (375ml I think) from the Steam Exchange brewery at Goolwa, SA. They have them rinsed after functions/servings.

They are selling them for 20c each. I think that stops people getting them & taking them to the recycling depots for the 10c deposit (here in SA).

I know it is more expensive than freebies from mates, but they are pretty clean & seem to be a sturdier bottle that a lot of commercial beer stubbies. I tend to have a look around small breweries when I am out & about & if they are getting rid of bottles I usually check them out.

I use a mix of 660 and 330 brown glass crown seal bottles from my HBS. Yes I had to buy them but they are strong and designed for homebrew. Only had 1 smash from over carbonating.
I would love to get into Kegs but the money involved turns me off.
Champagne bottles sound great and I'm going to look into it.

Tex, which HBS, and what sort of coin for the bottles? I see Brewcraft sell 330ml for around 70 cents each, and 640ml heavy duty (~500gm) bottles for $1.40 each. Sounds awful pricey.

I just scored 150 stubbies for free via Gumtree, from someone who was going to use them as garden bed dividers but has given up. Thinking I have a lot of cleaning ahead of me!

Also from gumtree just scored 6 dozen from someone who's given up on home brew, mix of mostly coopers 750ml glass, but also 500ml and 330ml...$10 the lot, already clean he reckons. We'll see!

First time i've used gumtree...just googled "beer bottles for sale melbourne" and up they came.

I have a tonne of bottles and are in a culling process. Those that make the cut are all crown top longies (16 boxes of vintage fosters,melb bitter), all crown top 500ml's and short stubbies such as ginger beer and VB stubbies...perfect for sticking in the fridge without needing them to lie down which means i can sneak them into the house fridge without being noticed....

After all that effort, i hardly bottle anymore anyway. 8 kegs tends to do that to you.

Nibbo

I use both, usually the pet bottles are for brews that I give out to mates etc

My coopers tallies are like my firstborn

I bought 500 x 750mL Pickaxe branded bottles from a deceased estate a couple months ago for $150. My station wagon was so laden with bottles that I had to move both the driver and passenger's seat forward and were getting people staring at me all the way from Sydney to Canberra. I'd like to eventually fill the lot but I don't think that'll happen. They're awesome bottles and make Coopers crownies feel flimsy in comparison.

Nice scon, love to see a picture of them if you've got one.

The guy I just picked up the 150 stubbies from said "Oh, you're a home brewer? Do you want these 450ml swingtop Grolsch bottles for free too?".

I coulda kissed him. Geez they're heavy little beauties.

scon said:
I bought 500 x 750mL Pickaxe branded bottles from a deceased estate a couple months ago for $150. My station wagon was so laden with bottles that I had to move both the driver and passenger's seat forward and were getting people staring at me all the way from Sydney to Canberra. I'd like to eventually fill the lot but I don't think that'll happen. They're awesome bottles and make Coopers crownies feel flimsy in comparison.
I've heard previously that some of the old Pickaxe bottles are actually worth some money as collectibles. Could be a nice score.

I recently was given a heap of green 330 mL bottles, fortunately none were used as ashtrays. I plan to use them for European style lagers. A visual que about the contents of the bottle.

I like the LC pint bottles, but will have to appreciate many more of these beers before I have enough for a batch.

I just picked up a three four packs of little creatures pints from a first choice near me. 1 x LCPA, 1 x LCBA, 1 x Rogers, 1 x Puffing billy smoked bock. Only $17 dollars a pack of four :)
Bottles are great for brewing in, beers are excellent for drinking, I've been meaning to try the bock for a while so it's win, win, win.

I keep Harviestoun 500ml bottles because they are dark and heavy and I like the original contents.

Coopers longnecks. I've bounced one on concrete. Just one. But I've smashed a few too.

Champagne bottles would be great. They can take a crown seal but it's larger than the one that beer bottles take.

Bigger bottles make bottling worthwhile.

Bottling buckets make bottling faster and more consistent.

I use a mix really. i have a set of grolsch andplenty of various stubbies. but my main bottle was the rekordaling 500ml ones. the missus went through a big cider phase as she is a pretty picky drinker it worked out well with the 3 for 18 deals that are on.

Latest posts

Back