Yet Another Diy Mill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have finally finished mine :super:
Thanks to Gav's Roller Mill webpage I got a fair amount of my inspiration with the bearing journals and basic design.
Thanks Jye for the idea to use furniature fittings. I ended up using thread inserts for my gap adjustment screws but the same principle applies. I have used an old 24v electric wheelchair motor that I scored which runs at about 180 RPM. (Big D there is one in my shed waiting for you) Power supply is an old PSU for an evac system. I drilled and tapped 1/4 inch holes in both shafts and interfaced the two with the Jaycar flexible coupler. Only one roller is being driven and I am hoping the grain will provide the motivation to spin the 55mm rollers.
I found this great plastic 90 extrusion with a 6mm gap from Bunnings for holding the MDF together for the hopper.
I am yet to crush anything so it may still be a flop but I am happy with how it has come together nonetheless.
Cheers
Doug

DCP_3894.JPG

DCP_3890.JPG

Doogie...
When the kids go to bed tonight...steal tubes out of their bikes ..
cut into rubber bands wrap around rollers.... :p
PJ

I have finally finished mine :super:
Thanks to Gav's Roller Mill webpage I got a fair amount of my inspiration with the bearing journals and basic design.
Thanks Jye for the idea to use furniature fittings. I ended up using thread inserts for my gap adjustment screws but the same principle applies. I have used an old 24v electric wheelchair motor that I scored which runs at about 180 RPM. (Big D there is one in my shed waiting for you) Power supply is an old PSU for an evac system. I drilled and tapped 1/4 inch holes in both shafts and interfaced the two with the Jaycar flexible coupler. Only one roller is being driven and I am hoping the grain will provide the motivation to spin the 55mm rollers.
I found this great plastic 90 extrusion with a 6mm gap from Bunnings for holding the MDF together for the hopper.
I am yet to crush anything so it may still be a flop but I am happy with how it has come together nonetheless.
Cheers
Doug

That looks great Doug, should also be able to hire it out to the local car wreckers for crushing bodies when your not using it. Ingenius, homebrewers can homebrew almost anything huh!

Are the rollers knurled, a small length of straight cut knurling on the end of both rollers catches the grain and drives both rollers, very simple but effective ala' Crankandstien.

Yep both rollers are double cut knurled (big thanks to Dad who turned them up for me !). PJ I will definately look at the inner tube option, my 5yo assistant brewer has solid rubber tyres on his bike but now where did I put that wheelchair tyre ?? :p
Cheers
Doug

Nice one Doug :beerbang:

I havent had any problems with the non-driven roller slipping, so give it a run before pulling it all apart just to fit a rubber band... and post some pics of your crush.

Back