Yeasts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adz2332

Reaction score
Ok my local brew shop have theses yeasts for sale.... can some one tell me what each of them are best suited to.. ie what type of beer or cider etc.
hope that makes sense

Safale S04
Safale US05
Saflager S23
Saflager W34/70

thanks

Ok my local brew shop have theses yeasts for sale.... can some one tell me what each of them are best suited to.. ie what type of beer or cider etc.
hope that makes sense

Safale S04
Safale US05
Saflager S23
Saflager W34/70

thanks

This is from my experience

Safale S04 - Used usually in English/Irish/Scottish ales, fermented at 18-20 degrees
Safale US05 - Used usually in American ales, fermented at 18-20 degrees
Saflager S23 - Used in lagers/pilsners, fermented at 10-12 degrees
Saflager W34/70 - Used in lagers/pilsners, fermented at 10-12 degrees

Sorry its a bit vague

Cheers
Steve

I'm sure others can add more but:

S-04 - English style ales
US-05 - American Ales - very neutral character
S-23 - lagers
W34/70 - more neutral lager yeast

Thanks guys makes it a bit clearer...

What would you use for Mexican Cerveza ? as thats my next brew

personally i would go with the 34/70 if i only had those four to choose from.

i think there are some authentic mexican lager strains available from white labs though they are $15 a pop.

I'd go the S23 or the W34/70 (probably the W34/70), but only if you can maintain the 9-15C (ideally 12) recommended on their site.

If you can't maintain the cooler temperatures, than i'd be inclined to go with US05.

Anyway, this is the website for those yeasts.
http://www.fermentis.com/FO/60-Beer/60-11_...uct_rangeHB.asp

Cheers,
Al

Edit: It's probably worth considering using two packet of the W34/70 if you're going to use that yeast. Same goes for S23

Yer i wouldnt be able to maintain that temp...
one packet of US05 seems the way to go?

would u throw away the yeast with the can or use it to?

If you can keep the fermentation below 18 degrees then US-05, although it's an ale yeast, can make a great 'fake' lager. I'd definitely use it for a Cerveza - I made one about this time last year and my Son in Law went berserk on it - and he's a Corona drinker :p

I even bottled off some in Corona bottles but the downside was that I had to drink a six pack of the stuff to get the bottles <_<
solly_cerveza.JPG

Edit: hang on to the kit yeast, you might get to brew some ginger beer or something later on.

If you can keep the fermentation below 18 degrees then US-05, although it's an ale yeast, can make a great 'fake' lager. I'd definitely use it for a Cerveza - I made one about this time last year and my Son in Law went berserk on it - and he's a Corona drinker :p

I even bottled off some in Corona bottles but the downside was that I had to drink a six pack of the stuff to get the bottles <_<
View attachment 34448

Edit: hang on to the kit yeast, you might get to brew some ginger beer or something later on.

That picture again!!!

:D

Where have I seen that before?

Bjorn

would u throw away the yeast with the can or use it to?

You can boil it. It'll kill the yeast, but give the US05 some extra nutrients.

Not really necessary though.

cough i like corona cough!!!

BribieG what recipe did you use that the son in law loved?

cheers

hope that makes sense

Safale S04
Safale US05
Saflager S23
Saflager W34/70

thanks

Why not just ask your local brew shop ? You were there and could have just asked.

Oh i was browsing online.. i like to go in armed with a little knowlage

Oh i was browsing online.. i like to go in armed with a little knowlage

cough i like corona cough!!!

BribieG what recipe did you use that the son in law loved?

cheers

It's an all grain recipe (well not ALL grain :p ) . If you get into grain brewing in due course It's a dead easy brew and can be adapted to an Aussie taste or even a euro taste by using different hops. I thought I'd put it in the RecipeDB but can't find it:

Solly Cerveza

4000g Galaxy Pale Pilsener
1000g Rice dry weight, cooked to a mush

Mash 66 degrees 90 mins

20g Chinook hops boiled 90 mins

500g Maltose rice syrup but sugar or dex would do

US-05 fermented at 17 degrees

Cold crash for 2 weeks before bottling.
:icon_cheers:

Yes I've built a fair library of pictures that I trot out now and again, usually just to make a point or illustrate a method for newer members who might not have seen the pic first time around. Or second. Or third :)

damn you grain brewers!! im not there yet!
just kit brewing so far grrr!

Back