Yeast starter taste

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What did you measure the 1L with and why is it more trustworthy than the flask/ Erlenmeyers are lab quality equipment as far as I know so I'd be trusting that over many other things.

manticle said:
What did you measure the 1L with and why is it more trustworthy than the flask/ Erlenmeyers are lab quality equipment as far as I know so I'd be trusting that over many other things.
He's right. My flasks are out too according to both my measuring jugs.
I guess the measuring jugs are out then.

Yes but how do you know your measuring jugs aren't out is my point? Are they high quality jugs like those of Monica Belucci for example?

monica-bellucci1.jpg

Mine has two sets of numbers on it - one set from the top mark, one set from the bottom. Are you guys looking at the right ones?

My flask is out as well, according to my scales...

manticle said:
I put my erlenmeyer straight onto gas burner at full bore. They can take heat - just don't brush them against the tap when filling. Heat resistant, brittle as ****.
I am well aware of that manticle. They are laboratory gear after all. ;)
I would never risk my Erlenmeyer dollars by putting them on an electric hotplate.

Edak -- That's a long way out for something that's supposed to be laboratory equipment? How did you ascertain the original 1-litre volume?
My Simax Erlenmeyers cover themselves by stating "Approx. vol." :)

Scales! Of course! :blink:

TidalPete said:
I am well aware of that manticle.

I have absolutely no doubt you are Pete. You've been brewing for a while - not intending to teach you to suck eggs, just outlining my methods for the OP and those reading.

manticle said:
Doesn't anyone care about Monica Belucci?
Sorry for the delay manticle, I had to Google that after being unexpectedly logged off the forum. Software problem? Hmmm!
Is she a relation of Sophia Loren? :p
I know you weren't. It's my latest Dubbel warming up my responses. :beer:

Monica belluci is related to hardware more than software.

She's certainly a spiritual relation if not an actual one - channeling similar genes in any case.

They will froth more with a focal point like a stirbar too. I leave mine up the top with a rare earth magnet keeping it there, use that to get it out so it doesn't end up in the beer. The flasks have only approx volumes on them, just use your scales.
I've been meaning to try that anti-foam stuff you can get to stop boilovers, can't remember what it's called.

and yes manticle monica is hot, no idea who she is but very nice thank you.

manticle said:
Doesn't anyone care about Monica Belucci?
Hell yeah, great quality jugs there no doubt.
I have the Erlenmeyer flasks from CB & I assume they are pretty good quality.

forgot. yes you can stick them straight into iced water from the boil. Direct gas is not a problem but i have heard of fractures with elements as you get some sort of hot focal point than can make em explode.

I just ignored Monica - girlfriend is OS for 5 weeks. I'm busy trying to catch botulism from my no chilled beers.

:icon_drunk:

Logman said:
I just ignored Monica - girlfriend is OS for 5 weeks. I'm busy trying to catch botulism from my no chilled beers.

:icon_drunk:
You're not trying hard enough, you need to make some salami without nitrates for nibbles, sausages for dinner without, and make some bacon as well for brekky

I take it these items come from that room with the pots and pans in it :ph34r:

No I'm not that bad - cooked eggs this morning :p

Back on topic :)

I put my flasks directly onto the gas hob and once boiled dunk them straight into cold water. Like Manticle has pointed out, they can crack if they've been knocked, which only shows once you put them on the ring and you hear a 'ping'. Just treat them gently :)

I've got some Foam Control stuff from GnG, just a drop or two in the flask with the water, DME and stir bar, then boil away.

I just prepped a starter with some WLP800 I had from a brew before, the starter was all DME, fermented very very vigorously which surprised me, had yeast coming out the airlock continuously for 3 days.
Aside from that, when I decanted it the fermented liqiud tasted fantasic. I could have kegged it and drank it. Like a Vietnamese Bia Hoi.

Latest posts

Back