Yeast Starter: is this ok?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shacked

I like beer
Reaction score
I've got an IPA in the cube ready for fermentation and I'm making a starter from a second generation batch of WLP001. It looks a little weird but still smells ok. I need to do another step up before pitching.

Can you guys take a look and let me know if this is ok?

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1430375266.891067.jpg

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1430375310.226811.jpg

Looks active all other things being in line, have at it.

Pitching the lot or leaving to decant?

Yob said:
Looks active all other things being in line, have at it.

Pitching the lot or leaving to decant?
Thanks yob.

I was going to chill this down, decant and add another 500ml of 1.040 DME wort, ferment and then pitch what's left.

No need to chill it, just pour of gently.

There will also be enough yeast in the liquid your poured off to make another starter

manticle said:
What do you think looks weird about it?
[SIZE=11pt]Do you mean apart from the fluorescent green and yellow UFO hovering inside the flask? :p [/SIZE]

manticle said:
What do you think looks weird about it?
Just the lumpy looking things in the top photo and the brown stuff in the foam in the other photo.

shacked said:
Just the lumpy looking things in the top photo and the brown stuff in the foam in the other photo.
That would be the yeast. Yeats is brown and tends to clump up.

That starter is 110% good to go

Thanks! I'll step it up tomorrow and pitch it on Saturday.

The previous responders have given very sage advice (except for ignoring fluorescent UFOs :unsure: )

The only thing I can add is trust your nose, and if you are inclined, your taste buds! It took me a while to go the latter, but now I'm used to it.

I always smell and taste a starter, gives you a heads up if there is anything else growing in there. You also get to know the the yeast and how it plays in wort to a small degree.

A yeast starter should smell fairly neutral.

My fermented Chillies also smell fairly neutral, even after 8-10 weeks in a closed bucket...

If you smell it and it smells nice then its OK...if it makes you want to puke..than thats BAD

shacked said:
Ok. You can see it for real whereas we are limited to your photo. Judging from that and your description, I'd suggest your worries are baseless and you have yeast fermenting wort.

Latest posts

Back