Yeast Kick Starts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keef12345

Reaction score
:chug:

I have heard a tale that yeast can be given a head start. Simply add the dry yeast 7g, to a glass of warm water not over 26 deg cel. Place glad wrap over the cup and let sit for 5 hours. Then add to the wort at under 25 deg.

Has anyone heard of this practice if so can you share some wisdom on the matter.

Best wishes

cheers

Hey keef,

its called a yeast starter. the point is to rehydrate the yest and proof that it is ok as the dried stuff you get in the kit may be dead or low cell count. Sometimes the concentration of sugars in wort is high enough that the yeast can not draw enough water across the cell membranes to restart their metabolism and this is the point of rehydration.
Basic steps that I follow when preparing a yeast starter are:

1. Put 1 cup of warm (about 30deg C) pre-boiled water into a sanitized jar and stir in the yeast. Cover with cling Wrap and wait 15 minutes.
2. "Proof" the yeast by adding one teaspoon of extract or sugar that has been boiled in a small amount of water. Allow the sugar solution to cool before adding it to the jar.
3. Cover and place in a warm area out of direct sunlight.
4. After 30 minutes or so the yeast should be visibly churning and/or foaming, and is ready to pitch.

If im doing a kit i usually dont prepare a starter and just dry sprinkle the yeast on the wort and havent had any problems yet, but i get my kits from a HB shop, not just coles.

One prob with yeast starters are that they can be a prime source of infection if you dont clean and sanitise everything properly.

Cheers :chug: :chug:

I agree. I don't usually make a starter if I am using a Kmart/Coles Kit. Though when I buy more expensive yeasts I always make a starter. Not so much to start it faster, but more to check its viability. If it is no good I will return it to the brew shop.

*edit - I have never had a yeast package,dried or liquid, fail to start.

wiki article on yeast., Its part of the method used to culture yeast such as using coopers yeast from the bottom of the bottle once ytou've finished drinking it. see here

Thankyou everyone who has helped me on the forum. Im alot clearer now about yeast starters.

thankyou brewers. :chug:

Back